• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Thinking about doing a form 1 on one of these before the new trust rules go into effect.

Anyone have one?
    Thoughts?
    Pros / cons?

I have a full length 556 with folder and love the functionality, but do not have a pistol yet, so I would have to find a bas pistol to convert or spend some big bucks to get the rifle converted to a shorter barrel; which would be a PITA from what I have read on the webz.

Johnny C

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Thinking about doing a form 1 on one of these before the new trust rules go into effect.

Anyone have one?
    Thoughts?
    Pros / cons?

I have a full length 556 with folder and love the functionality, but do not have a pistol yet, so I would have to find a bas pistol to convert or spend some big bucks to get the rifle converted to a shorter barrel; which would be a PITA from what I have read on the webz.

Johnny C

It really depends on the gun, on which is the easier way. But it looks like the Sig 556 pistol to SBR route is pretty darn simple, much like an HK MP5 pistol to SBR, just replace the back plate with one that holds a stock. Still, though, you might have to drop $1k to get the pistol, so factor that additional cost into the equation.

Just remember there might be 922r implications in making it into an SBR as I believe the Sig pistols are made overseas.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Have one.
    I really like it, just wish there was a little more aftermarket support for it.
    Pros: Compact, mine has been 100% reliable, uses AR mags.
    Cons: Heavy compared to a DI AR, and not as many aftermarket parts.

To convert mine I just had to remove a round plug from the receiver end and screw in a buffer tube. Mine has a Magpul UBR stock on it, which doesn't help with the weight, but it does balance well.

pipelinen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Demotte
    Not quite the same gun, but I have a Sig 553 sbr and have to say it is my favorite non machine gun that I own. It is truly what you get when you take the best qualities of an AK and an AR and mate them. I believe the 556 is made in the US so 922r is not a factor. You won't regret it.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    So the Serial # is on the upper of the 556, so that is what will have to be SBRed. probally easier to find a pistol to convert than get a rifle and chop the upper.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    So the Serial # is on the upper of the 556, so that is what will have to be SBRed. probally easier to find a pistol to convert than get a rifle and chop the upper.

Yes, totally agree with this. It literally was as easy as removing the plug from the end of the lower receiver and screwing in the buffer tube.

Top Bottom