• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I was the OP. There is a picture posted of both an M17 and an M18. They all look alike other than the very early ones which had brown, rather than black, controls.

-the military early ones are all brown
    -the civilian p320-m17 have black controls only
    -the military newer ones have black controls also
    -the commemorative original was all brown and no p320 marking only (I believe)
    - there was no “early” all brown m18 to my knowledge. (I am not an expert)

jwright2882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2019
    Greenwood
    Have you seen the P320 X5 Legion? It’s essentially the same line as the M17 but a bit more tricked out for competition shooting. Does not have the 1911 safety that the M17 has. I just picked one up, no rounds through it yet. Good to hear you like the M17, It’s next on my list.

marksman1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2019
    Columbus
    Started with a P320 Compact w/ Manual Safety. Bought another. Bought an M17B. Bought an M17 Commemorative. Will buy a pair of M18Bs and at least one M18 (hopefully a commemorative). And probably another M17B.

It's like I leave them in my gun safe and they breed.

jwright2882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2019
    Greenwood
    I like the sound of that. I hope mine do too; especially if they do it without adding $. But they’re reasonable for a striker, and look great.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have an M 17. It is a nice pistol. Although I have what I've always considered medium sized hands, I changed to a small grip module. It fits me a little better, although the medium that came with the pistol isn't a deal breaker. I have three other Sig striker fired pistols now, including my EDC P 365. I haven't had the first issue with any of them. I did send the P 320 compact in for the "voluntary upgrade". I pretty much quit counting rounds after I had 1,000 rounds downrange. Before COVID-19, I was at the range once a week and averaged about 200 rounds of 9mm during each session. The only other striker fired pistols I have owned are a Glock 23 and Kahr CM-9. Although the CM-9 has been flawless, I never liked the Glock, no matter how much I shot it. The Sigs did have a learning curve for me and don't point as naturally as a 1911 (I have tens of thousands of rounds downrange), but they have become my favorite 9mm pistols.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If I were a collector, I suppose the surplus Sig M-17 pistol would have some appeal, but as a shooter, I can't see paying 3X the price of a new commercial one. Am I missing something?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    If I were a collector, I suppose the surplus Sig M-17 pistol would have some appeal, but as a shooter, I can't see paying 3X the price of a new commercial one. Am I missing something?

Nope. Aren't military/LE trade ins and surplus guns supposed to be cheaper than new commercial? You know, because they're used? I got really excited when I heard about the military surplus M17's going up for sale. I figured it was going to be like SIG Certified Preowned. My wife and I each got a Red Box P320 carry in 9mm with night sights for $380. Boy was I surprised to see what those M17's were going for.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville

I can't either. I went to my dealer before he had heard about them and placed a order. I think I paid $749.00 plus the tax man. I'm going to hang onto it and see what they go for in a few years.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Nope. Aren't military/LE trade ins and surplus guns supposed to be cheaper than new commercial? You know, because they're used? I got really excited when I heard about the military surplus M17's going up for sale. I figured it was going to be like SIG Certified Preowned. My wife and I each got a Red Box P320 carry in 9mm with night sights for $380. Boy was I surprised to see what those M17's were going for.

i guess the big question would be when was the last time you saw us military surplus gun for sale??? The cmp has 1911’s but it’s a lottery to get one, and they’re a little more than you’ll pay for a new colt! Have you ever seen a us military surplus beretta 92 for sale??? No you haven’t, and you probably never will (legally that is!), as for the sig m17/18 surplus pistols the only reason these are for sale is because they were the test guns for the us army, and they were returned to sig after the testing was done, so unless hell freezes over you’ll never see a surplus m17/18 for sale.

the red box refurbished sigs are completely different than the surplus m17’s and that’s why they’re going for so much on gunbroker!

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    i guess the big question would be when was the last time you saw us military surplus gun for sale??? The cmp has 1911’s but it’s a lottery to get one, and they’re a little more than you’ll pay for a new colt! Have you ever seen a us military surplus beretta 92 for sale??? No you haven’t, and you probably never will (legally that is!), as for the sig m17/18 surplus pistols the only reason these are for sale is because they were the test guns for the us army, and they were returned to sig after the testing was done, so unless hell freezes over you’ll never see a surplus m17/18 for sale.

the red box refurbished sigs are completely different than the surplus m17’s and that’s why they’re going for so much on gunbroker!

sounds like you know more about the sig m17 than many others. What is the difference? Is the difference between the p320-m17 and the m17 also there?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    sounds like you know more about the sig m17 than many others. What is the difference? Is the difference between the p320-m17 and the m17 also there?

I know the military issued m17 has a "lock" on the frame so you cant remove/replace the fire control unit (not sure if its on the surplus guns), and doesn't say "p320" only m17, it has a nsn part number on the slide, it has orange/green night sights, they have coyote colored controls (i think current military controls are black) and might have wear on the frame/slide including rack numbers on the frame

the commercial m17 serial numbers start with M17, the controls are black (the commemorative has tan) and has green/green night sights, the slide only says m17 on the commemorative, but the commercial pistols have p320 and m17 or m18 markings on the slide, the surplus m17's also have a "certificate of authenticity" which is kind of bs, cause it doesn't have the serial number of the gun on it.

i'm almost positive those are the differences, I might be wrong, if I am, please post on this thread!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I know the military issued m17 has a "lock" on the frame so you cant remove/replace the fire control unit (not sure if its on the surplus guns), and doesn't say "p320" only m17, it has a nsn part number on the slide, it has orange/green night sights, they have coyote colored controls (i think current military controls are black) and might have wear on the frame/slide including rack numbers on the frame

the commercial m17 serial numbers start with M17, the controls are black (the commemorative has tan) and has green/green night sights, the slide only says m17 on the commemorative, but the commercial pistols have p320 and m17 or m18 markings on the slide, the surplus m17's also have a "certificate of authenticity" which is kind of bs, cause it doesn't have the serial number of the gun on it.

i'm almost positive those are the differences, I might be wrong, if I am, please post on this thread!
    If you are a collector, go for it! Not having the ability of removing the fire control assembly would be a deal breaker, for me, as a shooter. I doubt that they were ever deployed overseas, either. I'll stick with my commercial model.
    67XxWAJ.jpg

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

That makes sense. I thought the military was going to be selling a bunch of surplus M9's. No legal reason they can't. They aren't machine guns. But I understand your point, and I understand why they are valuable to military collectors.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    That makes sense. I thought the military was going to be selling a bunch of surplus M9's. No legal reason they can't. They aren't machine guns. But I understand your point, and I understand why they are valuable to military collectors.
    The CMP might actually get some M-9's to sell somewhere down the road. It'll be some time before the M 17 completely replaces those Berettas.

MikeHoncho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2019
    Laurel
    They are sweet. I'd love to get ahold of one some day but it's a bit down the list. I watched one of Garland Thumbs vids on it, they do run.

Top Bottom