• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zfjohnson1989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    I've been thinking about buying a Sig Mosquito, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on them. What's you opinion? Specific pros and cons would be helpful.

Hkfiend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    in the Ford Galaxy
    I sold mine a few months back. I didn't have any feeding problems, but I only shot CCI Minimags through it. My biggest issue was the trigger. Double action was extremely heavy and even the single was a little heavy. Reliability I'd give a 10, but personally I just wasn't that impressed with it

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    2 words!!!

They suck!!!!!!!!!! FTf fte and didnt matter what ammo used or which recoil spring and no matter how wet you ran it!!!!! Worst trigger I have ever felt on a pistol including s&w sigma series!!!! Get a tiger mark III or a buckmark.... Both have extremely good reputations... You can get a markIII 22/45 for less than $300...... Plus alot more aftermarket following of them as well...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A friend has one, and I've shot it a few times. Doesn't seem to like cheap or low-velocity ammo. Cycles fine on CCI (as mentioned above) and higher velocity stuff.

If you want a .22 the looks and feels like a "full sized" semi-auto, then the Sig is fine. If you want a cheap plinker or really accurate .22, then there are other options.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know it's not what you asked, but I've been happy with my P22.

It is picky on ammo but I found some cheaper stuff it would run fine. I don't like plinking with expensive 22lr ammo like the CCI's. To me it partially defeats the purpose of why I want to shot my 22.

The magazine release on the Walther's was a deterrent for me, but I've overcome it.

Overall a great little plinker that is fun to shoot and mostly reliable after you figure out the ammo for it and break it in.

I like the looks of the Sig better, but was nervous by the mixed reviews. I may eventually pick one up, but I am pleased with my P22 for sure.

zfjohnson1989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    I actually used to have a Walther P22, but I had to sell it awhile back because I needed the cash. The Walther had a few things about it that I didn't like, but overall, it was a pretty decent gun. I'd like to get another one eventually, but being that my funds are limited, I figured I would try something a little different.

I have considered a Ruger or Browning (both excellent firearms), but to be honest, I've shot around with both Buckmarks and various Ruger's enough that I was thinking I'd try something different. That's not to say I won't end up getting one or the other.

So, if you were to knock out Ruger, Browning, Walther, and Sig, what's left? The smart thing to do would be to go with a brand that I know I like. But what can I say? There are a lot of guns in the world and I'm curious. :D

zfjohnson1989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    @ shoots4fun

Yeah, I like the looks of the Sig better too, but like you, I'm leery of it due to the different things I've heard. I've heard both things that were mentioned above about the trigger being too heavy and it not feeding right.

The trigger is what I was most curious about. I have a Taurus Model 94 revolver, and that is by far the worst trigger I've ever pulled on a gun.

zfjohnson1989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    If you are just having fun, why not a Glock or 1911 with a .22LR conversion? Definitely would be different! Could serve a dual purpose, too.

I wasn't aware that you could convert a Glock. I've heard of the 1911 kits, but I've never heard a lot on their reliability. Not that they would have to function flawlessly, but I don't want to have to deal with a lot of problems when I'm out shooting around.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    You're going to hear every story about any .22s on this forum because they are the most affordable to shoot. The Sigs are no different than any other gun. Keep it clean and feed it decent ammo and its a good gun. Don't know what you are using it for but the best feature of a Mosquito is that it simulates a service pistol in the way it operates. Great training tool.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I sold mine after 3 trips back to Sig. Worst purchase I ever made. When it wasn't jamming on every kind of ammo imaginable, the trigger would get loose and sound like a kids toy gun. Rattling back and forth. If that wasn't happening the mag would fall out on its own...I would never buy another mosquito as long as I live.

illmaniac123

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    East Indianapolis
    First handgun I had. As a fun plinker and a training style firearm it is amazing. The trigger pull isnt the greatest but its not supposed to a match grade competition gun. I had a newer model and had no failures at all. Cheap ammo get the lighter spring that comes in the box and CCIs get the installed one. Never had a problem and Id recommend it to any beginner or someone that wants a trainer/plinker

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    First Sig I bought. It's a decent dedicated .22, once broken in. I found a good deal on a 229 classic, which is a 229 lower with a .22 slide and magazine. Sold the skeeter and never looked back. I do recommend the Sig classic .22 series. Which model is up to you. Right now I've got the original .22 slide on it with a threaded barrel, and I use it a LOT with my little zephyr .22 supressor for Target fun. I also got a .40 slide and barrel for it, and later picked up a .357 Sig barrel, which fits the .40 slide. All I need now is a killer deal on a 9 mm conversion barrel, and ill have a four caliber pistol. Lotsa fun!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    It's sad that Sig would put their name on the Mosquito. Unreliable and horrendous trigger. I can't recommend the Ruger's and Buckmarks enough. Personally, I like the Ruger better. Install a Majestic Arms 3.2 Speed Strip, and you've got one of the nicest 22 pistols out there.

Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    I've got a sig Mosquito and I must say, i'm not terribly pleased with Sig on this one. Works well and is a great trainer. I purchased to shoot a .22 that feels like a semi-auto but with lower cost of ammo. The problem i have is that after I put 100 rounds through the gun, it starts to take 2 trigger pulls to fire the gun. it happens maybe half the time after 100 rounds. so it's 15 trigger pulls to send 10 rounds. It was sent back to sig, and when i got it back, the problem was still there. It upsets me that sig would manufacture a gun like this and put their name on it and continue to sell it. I would do one of the 22 series and get a .22 caliber barrel if i could do it over again. Or buy a .22 cal conversion for my Glock.

Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    also, i only shoot CCI through mine because i had read the bad reviews online and believed if you shot the right ammo and took care of it you could avoid problems. If you get a Mosquito you will get plenty of practice with troubleshooting firing and feeding problems. It is a mosquito, annoying and pesky.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I shot a mosquito once...trigger is the stiffest trigger I've ever shot, on that alone, I would never buy one. I vote 1911 and a kit to easily drop in a .22 lr

Top Bottom