• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvapro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Hey all. I’m looking to get any feedback on the 320 spectre comp. I have a legion that I love and have been looking at getting something with a compensator. Does anyone have any feedback? Ideally I’m looking for true owner and user feedback.
    If there are thoughts on other compensated handguns, I’m more than willing to hear opinions.
    Think twice before responding they blow up or shoot themselves. Hah!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    It’s compensated correctly so it acts as more than just a barrel weight (unlike the P365 X Macro). As with all compensators the hotter the ammo the better the compensator will work at keeping the gun flat during recoil (comps don’t reduce recoil they push the muzzle down counteracting muzzle rise during recoil).

That being said I don’t see it as a $500+ upgrade myself.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I bought one because I am a sucker for comp'd guns. I think it shoots much better than a standard P320 because the P320 has a high bore axis and the comp helps damped recoil flip.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I will never again own a handgun with a compensator system on it. No experience with P320 compensated, but I did have a Charter Arms Bulldog 3" that was compensated. If you are planning for using this gun in self-defense/combat situation you have to admit that firing from a retention position is quite possible, and even likely. Imagine holding the weapon in your dominant hand, with the muzzle 3-4" past your belly, down by your love handle (area). Now imagine pulling the trigger. Where are those compensation gases, blast, and unburned powder going to go? RIGHT IN YOUR FACE, that's where. I can see a compensator on a .500 S&W bear gun. On a 9mm anything it is totally unnecessary, and may cause you personal harm, when you can least afford it. "Armed robbery victim blinded by his own gun." Don't be that guy.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I bought a Star Firestar M-45 many years ago in my quest for the perfect carry piece. It was heavy and the recoil was sharp to say the least. In an effort to reduce the recoil, I sent it off to be Magna-ported. It did exactly what it was supposed to do, reduced the recoil significantly. Oh, the blast out the ports was pretty stout. Made the mistake one evening of trying out a couple of rounds. The entire front sight became enveloped in a large fireball. So glad I never shot it in a real event. As Bassat said "Armed robbery victim blinded by his own gun".

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I will never again own a handgun with a compensator system on it. No experience with P320 compensated, but I did have a Charter Arms Bulldog 3" that was compensated. If you are planning for using this gun in self-defense/combat situation you have to admit that firing from a retention position is quite possible, and even likely. Imagine holding the weapon in your dominant hand, with the muzzle 3-4" past your belly, down by your love handle (area). Now imagine pulling the trigger. Where are those compensation gases, blast, and unburned powder going to go? RIGHT IN YOUR FACE, that's where. I can see a compensator on a .500 S&W bear gun. On a 9mm anything it is totally unnecessary, and may cause you personal harm, when you can least afford it. "Armed robbery victim blinded by his own gun." Don't be that guy.
    I have 2 comped Sigs, absolutely no issues firing them from retention or in low light. I can take comps or leave them but it isn't just competition guys using them these days, a lot of the self defense type instructors and people are way in with them.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I talked some crap about the compensated P365 when they released it. After I shot one, I had to eat some crow because it really didn't have any blast to speak of, even in the dark and from compressed shooting positions. I think it did help tame muzzle rise a little bit, but it was also a Macro, so having a full grip probably helped quite a bit, too. The only thing I have to compare it to is the standard P365 with it's tiny grip.

I used to have a Taurus .44 with those stupid holes drilled in the top of the barrel out by the muzzle, and it was horrible. My uncompensated 2 3/4" Smith Model 69 is more pleasant to shoot than that full-size gun with a 6" barrel. It was like they designed it intentionally to send particulate and blast pressure right back at your face. Any benefit in muzzle control was completely negated by the horrible flinch that shooting that gun induced, because you knew when you pulled the trigger you were going to feel it in the bridge of your nose.

I think modern compensator design has improved quite a bit and takes the direction of the blast into account. Modern defensive 9mm ammo also isn't anything like full-power magnum revolver ammo, either, or even old-school .38+P. It uses faster burning powders and contains flash reducing chemicals. Whatever the reason, the compensated P365 macro I shot was very pleasant, unlike that .44.

I don't feel like there was enough a benefit to make me shop for a compensator on a defensive pistol, but they're not all the anathema I once believed them to be, either.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I guess I just don't get the whole idea of a 'compensated' 9mm pistol. I used to own a Sig P320. Full-size 9mm == right next to no recoil. I still shoot a 9mm P365XL (and my daughter has a P365. She is 5' tall and about 100#. She has no problem controlling either well enough for double-taps. Ditto her 14 year old son. Both my carry guns, Kahr CM9 and Keltec P32, buck a lot more than a P365/(XL). Both are controllable with some practice and a really good grip. Neither are candidates for a compensated barrel. To me, anyway. Before someone chimes in that I tolerate recoil well, let it be known that I won't shoot full-tilt-boogie .357 magnum ammo, even from a large frame revolver; the recoil is abusive. Please don't blow my head off, but I see 'compensator' on any 9mm handgun as roughly equivalent to a rear spoiler on a 4-cylinder Toyota. Some folks think it looks 'cool', but it really doesn't do much.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I agree completely, and a rear spoiler on a 4 cylinder FWD Toyota is an excellent analogy! Some people (not me) think it looks cool, but it provides little to no substance. Personally, I'd rather they use that half-inch of extra overall slide length to give me more barrel and a longer sight radius.

I don't think a comp is necessary on a 9mm handgun, and I wouldn't go shopping for one. However, for the very same reason that they're not necessary, I don't think they're massively detrimental, either. There's just not enough muzzle blast there to make them a significant problem.

dvapro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I agree completely, and a rear spoiler on a 4 cylinder FWD Toyota is an excellent analogy! Some people (not me) think it looks cool, but it provides little to no substance. Personally, I'd rather they use that half-inch of extra overall slide length to give me more barrel and a longer sight radius.

I don't think a comp is necessary on a 9mm handgun, and I wouldn't go shopping for one. However, for the very same reason that they're not necessary, I don't think they're massively detrimental, either. There's just not enough muzzle blast there to make them a significant problem.
    Very well put. Most significant recoil control comes from your grip anyway. I’m looking for a solid addition to complement my shooting vs needing the crutch of the comp. I appreciate the feedback.

Top Bottom