• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwagner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    My dad bought a Sig P290 last week and we finally got the time to take it out for its first test run, and it didn't go very well.

When we were out there shooting 3 to 4 rounds per magazine would not fire we would have to pull the trigger 2 sometimes 4 times just to get the round to go off. We were thinking it may just take a little breaking in, but we shot probably 50 rounds through it and at that point it should not be miss firing that many times. We were using Tulammo, but I don't think it is the ammo because every round went bang in my Glock on the first time.

What do you think could be the problem?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Tula/Wolf are known for hard primers.
    I bought 1000 Wolf primers to reload with. I had a butt load that I either had to hit 2x's to get them to go off, some never would.
    I'd try different ammo, Win white box or similar.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Did you break it down, clean it and apply proper lubrication to the gun prior to firing it for the first time?

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Had the same issue with my P938. Field strip it lube it and fire about 300 rds through it. If still acting up after that send it back to Sig for repair.

mwagner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Ill break it down clean it real good and lube it up and get some better ammo and see if it does better. Thanks for the imput.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The above advice to thoroughly clean your firearm is prudent, but so is the caveat about the russkie ammo. Try some cheapo Winchester white box, or something similar, and see if you don't have better luck.

Last edited:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have a Sig P 220 in .45 it will not pickup a round of wolf off of the magazine! It will fire the first round in but will not pick up the steel case ammo off of any of my four mags! I would blame it on the ammo!

Like has been stated in here already I would get some different ammo and try again!! If you still have problems then send it back to Sig.

I do own a P-290 and have had no trouble with it feeding and firing any brass case ammo!

spd211

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Tul, Wolf, & Blazer are all ammo types that I have numerous problems with. Spend the extra money and get anything else. I'm sure that'll take care of your problem.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Is this a P290 or a P290RS, with the re strike trigger? I ask because the original 290s were known to light strike, plenty of reviews to read about that.

I assume it's a re strike because of your wording, which if that's the case, I blame the ammo.

I picked up a 290, 2 weeks ago and because of the light strike issue I read about I took apart the slide, taking the firing pin and firing pin block out but leaving the extractor in. Degreased everything and put a touch of good lube in there.

I only have about 115 with basically no issues. I did shoot some 50 year old rounds that were kind of rough. Had 3 duds, 1 FTE, and several re strikes. But I completely chalk that up to old ars ammo.

Running new (and hell, even 20 year old) PMC through it I've yet to have an issue

Woodro29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have had problems with my sig and it was a clean lube thing more than ammo. Not saying that, that particular ammo is that great anyway. But I would lean towards the lube issue. Now I love that gun!!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I always had problems with harder primers in my Sigs. I would just switch a different "budget" ammo. White Box or Blazer tend to work fine for me.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What do you think could be the problem?

The problem is that Sig's rush to market weapons has resulted in a serious lack of quality and reliability. The P290 is one of the worst examples of this. Here's a post I made after I started having issues with my new P290.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/151499-soured_on_sigs.html

The weapon went back to Sig 3 times and they told me the light primer strikes were my fault due to limp wristing the weapon. The problem with that theory is that it would happen on the first round. Sig finally replaced my P290 with a new weapon that only fails to fire about 25% of the time.

Sig keeps saying there is no problem, but they came out with the 290 RS (re-strike) model which allows you to to pull the trigger 4-5 times, hoping that the round will eventually fire before you give up and throw the weapon at the target or intruder.

I tried 5-6 different brands of ammo without any improvement. I could take any of the rounds that failed to fire and run it through any of my other 9mm pistols and every one would fire on the first strike.

I have about 15 .45 acp weapons, 2 S&W 460s and a S&W 500, so I do know how to hold and fire a weapon. Sig's lack of concern, constant denial of a problem and then coming out with the RS model to fix an issue that didn't exist convinced me that I will NEVER give Sig another penny of my money.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have fired many boxes of Blazer ammo thru my P226 and P229 without any problem. Never had used the Wolf brand tho. Sound liked it's the ammo issues to me.

Top Bottom