• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    here's my idea, since it goes bang for you and not for him, offer him 50 bucks for the gun...MERRY CHRISTMAS FOR ZX-14R!

This is a spectacular idea! ZX-14R Approved! :yesway:

Edit - Despite the logic and "win-win" nature of the deal....he declined :dunno:

jtmason15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    Grant County
    Your friend when he is racking the slide back probably is following the slide back with his hand and therefore it is still cocking the gun but not seating the bullet enough to actually fire the round. It could just be an issue with that. Have him try and rack it back and let her fly. Some people think that they will hurt the gun if they just let it rack hard. But they are doing more harm than good. I am sure you already know this with your reputation with guns. It just might be something he is doing.

GunDave007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Sig. I had the same issue with my new P290. The firing pin would hit the primer but not hard enough to fire the round. If I placed the round in any of my other 9mm weapons, it would fire.

I called and wrote to Sig many times and they kept telling me there was nothing wrong - they said I was limp-wristing the pistol. The problem with that theory is that the weapon would mis-fire and encounter light primer strikes on the first round out of the magazine, where the slide was fully forward and locked.

I sent it back to them 3 times and each time they said it was fine. I pointed out that they could Google up "P290 Light Primer Strikes" and find pages and pages of similar complaints, some including videos of the problem. They finally sent me a brand new P290 that only fails to fire about 25% of the time. A while back I saw posts on here from people who were having the same issues with the new P938.

I tested 5-6 different brands of ammo and found that the 147 gr PDX-1 ammo worked about 90% of the time. This was the best I could find, but I didn't waste too much more time and money on a weapon I knew I wouldn't carry because I couldn't depend on it.

In some of the videos people showed that if you used a slow and steady trigger pull, the weapon would misfire. If they firmly and quickly pulled the trigger, it might fire ok. That might explain why it fired for you and not your buddy.

BTW, I used to be a big Sig fan and supporter, but the experience with the P290 changed my opinion. My favorite full size .45 carry weapon is my Sig 220 Elite and I also have 3 of the P238s in .380.

Don't give up with Sig. Keep calling and sending the weapon back in. They will e-mail you a printable pre-paid shipping label to UPS the weapon back to them. They eventually got tired of me and offered to replace the P290 with any other "equal value" weapon in their inventory. If you spend enough time and money you might eventually find a brand of ammo that works. Talk to the LGS where you bought the weapon and see if they can't help put some pressure on Sig.

Good Luck !!!!

This is disappointing. I've read a lot of great things about the Sig P290 and I am considering getting one. It looks like a solid little gun.

jchuff87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I read on another thread about light strikes on a Sig though you said it seemed good in this department. It's not good that defense ammo would not work, since a lot of people use that stuff when they carry. What brand was it, the stuff that wasn't working?

Top Bottom