• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Been looking for a Sig Sauer with a barrel equivalent to Glock 17*** I notice so many models of Sig's, how do you know which Gen it is?

I'm thinking 226 is the closets to the Glock 17***

I think I am going to purge my safe of Glock's*** keep my Gen 4 Glock 17, and move my Glock 34 OD for a Sig

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Have you shot a Sig? They're, IMO, completely different feeling pistols in every respect... grip, trigger, weight.... everything. While I like Sigs and don't care for Glocks I gotta say that if you're happy with your Glocks you may not like a Sig at all. BUT, if you're looking for something completely different, a Sig P226 (or a P220) is a fantastic pistol.

:twocents:

ETA: Sig doesn't really do the "Gen" thing; most people seem to classify them as made in Germany or not.

Last edited:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I have lost my desire to own Glock's and M&P's for that matter....

Looking at Sigs for that reason,, I have shot Sig's and they do feel different, slightly heavier, but I liked the feel for the few rounds I have shot them

I have a Police buddy with a couple so I will get with him and borrow his for a day at the range,, one is a 226 and one is a 229, if I remember correctly

Sig-Bandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Columbus
    I own many Sigs and no Glocks (although a fine weapon), and mostly carry a P239 in .40cal. I like having the feel of the extra weight versus an all polymer pistol. Sigs feel well balanced and are out of the box accurate and reliable. My overall favorite is the P228, I mostly own older West German models. I do have a P229 Elite that is also a great pistol but after shooting it I am not sure it is worth the extra money cost wise. If you want to save a few dollars look around for a CPO Sig instead of new ones.

To help on the Gen question of Sigs they were originally made in Switzerland ( I have a Swiss 225 with European mag release) then West Germany/Germany and these are stamped on the slide, mostly from the 1970's to 1980's.. These are no rail guns also as the rail guns came along after that being made/imported into Virginia then New Hampshire. For a more complete history follow the link.

http://www.sigsauer.com/AboutUs/History.aspx

Last edited:

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I like the Glock slightly better because mine sees use under very dirty, damp conditions and needs a detail strip more often than most.

My SIGs are just a bit more difficult to detail strip; especially the slide.

My single-stack SIGs fit my hands as well as the 2nd gen G19. Both are more than good enough for defense. Go with what feels best (or shoots best) in your hand. I like both brands a lot, despite the differences.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Well, if you're looking at the classic series I guess I'd say the P226 is the "closest" to the G17, but like mammy said, they're pretty different feeling firearms; different action, different weight, different bore axis, lots of stuff. It all adds up to a SIGnificantly (couldn't resist) different experience, IMO.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    IU beat me to it. The P250 is also a non expensive polymer DAO Sig that you can but different frames barrels ,slides,etc aqnd change out everything from the size ie SC to FS and every caliber alot cheaper than buying a new gun and it will adapt to whatever use you have for it. Now with that said I have a p220 combat and love it! Great for a 45 and the recoil isnt bad at all. I have a P226 Navy also and rotate my EDC between them all. I like my 226 and 220 ALOT but the 2022 is really growing on me! My next one will be a 229 (real close to the G19) because I dont have one yet. My lil brother carries one in 40 and wont even talk about another gun. I myself dont care for the 40 S&W and haqve the 9mm and 45 versions in everything I have. My P250 is the Sub compact w/SRT and I just ordered the 9mm exchange kit for the compact and the grip frame to go with it. The FCG is the part that the BATFE considers the "firearm" so you can order the caliber and size change out kits yourself to your home. Out of the ones you listed I would say to get the P226 though.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    226 is their full-sized, 229 the "compact", and 239 the single-stack "smaller than 229 but still not small enough for me to consider it a sub-compact"

There's also a Sig 228 that's essentially identical to the 229, but has a stamped slide vs. forged stainless steel slide of the 229.

And there are more variants / versions / color combinations that I can ever hope to keep straight.

You'll find some older ones without accessory rails. Most Sig-o-philes prefer these. most Sig-o-philes also much prefer the German-made guns vs. the New Hampshire-made guns from a fit/finish/reliability standpoint.

My personal opinion would be to go for the 229.

Happy hunting!

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I have, shoot and really like both - I love my glocks. The biggest challenge for me is the axis of aim - the barrel in a Sig sits significantly higher in the hand than the barrel of the glock. It can mess with your stance/muscle memory.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I really like my 226. That being said I've heard a lot of negative thing about the newer Sigs in the Q.C. department.
    Check out www.sigforum.com Most of your questions should be answered over there. A lot of knowledge over there.

Top Bottom