• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I've been to Morgan-Monroe State Forest looking for squirrels. Unfortunately, I am deaf in one ear so when I hear the chatter I can't judge the direction it is coming from. I can hear nuts dropping etc... My one good ear is good. But, I need to learn a trick or two to find them faster. Any advice?

Thanks!

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    A barker call. Thanks, the internet is amazing, I already googled that and read about it.

With the call, do the squirrels tend to travel through the canopy, or lower? Do they drop along the trunk to investigate or remain up?

Thanks!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    It is an alarm or challange call. They will come investigate or run away. It is more of a end of and area type of thing for me. They will normally wag tails and bark back.

Those little grey's in the south are busy little rats. They don;t seem to stop long. They also run away from the barker calls it mainly works on the reds up north better.

Hearing just gets you in the right area to see one. use your eyes and you will be fine.

Also don;t let early season get you down. Much harder to see them now than after the first frost. The best time for me seem to be mid winter.

DRAIN SURGEON

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Mooresvile
    Try cupping your hand behind your good ear. If you hear something it gives you a direction and blocks out a lot of backgroung noise. I hunt with an oldtimer and he has trouble hearing and he is good at getting his limit with this method.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My brother lives in another state. His neighborhood is crawling with reds and greys. He built about a half dozen box traps and traps them in his back yard and in his neighbors yard (with permission). Takes them into the garage and snuffs them. Skin, clean and bag and into the freezer they go. He's been getting 3-4 a day for a couple of weeks now.

Weird thing...at his house the Greys are huge and the Reds are small. Around here we have big Reds and small Greys.

gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    Try going the morning after a late night rain. I've always found it to be best. Not only can you hear them a little better you can pin point where they're at cause of the falling water. I limited out 3 days in a row last weekend and Sunday morning was the best. Personally I've been seeing pretty much all of mine at the tops of trees! Acorn trees, real early.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I don't know why I didn't think of it, but binoculars have to help. I was out yesterday for an hour in MMSF, heard a few squirrels, but didn't spot one. Seemed like a nice area tree wise - tall oaks and black walnuts either side of a ravine. Saw some chewed nuts but no critters. :)

The ear cup idea also was useful. I could narrow down the direction pretty quickly, no luck after I started crackling through the leaves.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    we hunted MMSF a couple of years before moving south. Just drove around then listened for them barking the first few times. Then we back and found the nut trees there were in. Just as the leaves were starting to fall, we went back and sat around the nut trees and waiting... then proceeded with wacking them :)

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN
    I've been to the Salamonie and Mississinewa reservoirs and haven't seen one darn squirrel yet. I figured it was to warm for them to be active. Going to go out this weekend and give it another shot since it is suppose to be a lot cooler.

Top Bottom