Silencing either a Glock or Ruger Mark III. Questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    So I've been looking into getting a silencer for one of my guns. I'm torn between my options, and actually need more information about it. I have tried to do the research, but its difficult to find the information I need, and so I figured I would turn to INGO to help me out.

Reasons I was thinking of silencing my Ruger Mark III; I've seen them silenced, I know they CAN be silenced, and I know that its not too difficult to get a threaded barrel for them. Plus, its a .22, so I can go out and shoot a thousand rounds a day, (probably slightly giddy about having a silencer the whole time,) and still not spend a lot of money.

Has anybody here done this with a Ruger Mark I/II/III? Experiences, what you got, what you did, what you wish you hadn't done?

The other option was to silence my Glock 17. Obviously threaded barrels are easily found for this, and I could order one anytime I wanted to. The only thing that I was concerned about and had a hard time researching was the operation. With the non-fixed barrel design of this gun, how well does it operate in semi-automatic mode?

If I get a silencer, I don't want to have to rack a round every time I want to fire. That kinda ruins the fun for me...if I'm going to pay for the tax stamp and go through the background checks, I'm gonna get the most out of it that I can. This was one of the main reasons that I was considering getting the Mark III silenced; not having to deal with this, (due to the Mark III's fixed barrel design,) and the ammo price question.

Anybody silenced a Glock recently? Problems with it, what did you do, wish you hadn't done....you know the drill. ;)

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    The other option was to silence my Glock 17. Obviously threaded barrels are easily found for this, and I could order one anytime I wanted to. The only thing that I was concerned about and had a hard time researching was the operation. With the non-fixed barrel design of this gun, how well does it operate in semi-automatic mode?

If I get a silencer, I don't want to have to rack a round every time I want to fire. That kinda ruins the fun for me...if I'm going to pay for the tax stamp and go through the background checks, I'm gonna get the most out of it that I can.

You just need a recoil booster designed to work with your can and a glock will function perfectly well in semi-automatic mode. For a good example of this, look at the multi-mount from gem-tech. (It, plus their recoil booster is what im running on my g17, and i couldn't be happier. And yes, giddy like a school girl is about the only way to describe doing mag dumps with it on..)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I think there are a few barrels internally surpressed for the rugers. I think that would be sweet. I know they used them for the seals to use on guard dogs and such. I still think you would want it altered to shoot single shot with a manual cock to reload and a semi auto. With a simple strap or latch for the action to freeze and then manually insert the next shell it would be less noise. I guess being able to switch firearms would be a minus.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I know they have internally suppressed barrels for the Rugers; Keislers down here had one for a long time, in one of their display cases. Basically looked like a bull barrel....but with an extra 8 inches on the end.

I think I'd like to get the Ruger silenced first....I feel like it would be cheaper to start with, and simpler. Just need the threaded barrel and the can itself.

My barrel is the bull barrel though, so I think that I would wind up just buying another barrel...probably cheaper than getting that one threaded.

But that means taking the Mark III apart.....damn, I'll just wear more ear-plugs and pretended its silenced. :p

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I know they have internally suppressed barrels for the Rugers; Keislers down here had one for a long time, in one of their display cases. Basically looked like a bull barrel....but with an extra 8 inches on the end.

I think I'd like to get the Ruger silenced first....I feel like it would be cheaper to start with, and simpler. Just need the threaded barrel and the can itself.

My barrel is the bull barrel though, so I think that I would wind up just buying another barrel...probably cheaper than getting that one threaded.

But that means taking the Mark III apart.....damn, I'll just wear more ear-plugs and pretended its silenced. :p

Threading your bull bbl would be $75 or $110 if you want the sights moved and a custom thread protector made.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I think I can get a replacement barrel that is already threaded for like, $120 or so, though; and at that price, I think I would rather just have both barrels. Anybody know a good source for threaded Mark III barrels?

And in order to thread my barrel, I'm pretty sure the sites would HAVE to be moved, because the front site is sitting right at the end of the barrel.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Yeah, I think I can get a replacement barrel that is already threaded for like, $120 or so, though; and at that price, I think I would rather just have both barrels. Anybody know a good source for threaded Mark III barrels?

And in order to thread my barrel, I'm pretty sure the sites would HAVE to be moved, because the front site is sitting right at the end of the barrel.

If you are calling the entire "upper" the barrel that you are saying you can buy an extra threaded one, that is what is considered the firearm on the Ruger MK series. You can buy threaded ones from Gemtech (leftovers from the integral builds). I think they are $180'ish plus you will have to pay a dealer to transfer it because it is a firearm.

The true bbl itself on the MK series is not replaceabke without really really knowing what you are doing and having special tools.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I guess thats what I was talking about. I haven't had the Mark III out in awhile, and I wasn't aware that the barrel was not replaceable like that. Thanks for the info, though.

Top Bottom