• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    anybody ever test this ammo I was wanting to get some hollow points for my cz82 and I saw a guy on youtube test the round in phone books and they didnt expand but he only used one round. any suggestions

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It seems to be the internet consensus that the 93-94 grain HP ammo in 9x18 mak does not have the velocity to expand. Many advocate using FMJ for carry ammo. I think the velocity is supposed to be right on the edge for expansion. Since the HP is typically the same price by a dollar or so as the FMJ, I usually get HP. I don't carry my cz82 but would.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    i dont have the silver bear hollow points, just the fmj. so i couldnt tell you about it. i just carry fmj in my cz82 since i cant find any hollows around here locally.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I bought a few boxes of Hornaday JHP a few years ago and was very disappointed. 2 hangfires, one with just primer that didn't get the bullet out of the barrel and another round with a bad crimp & the bullet hit the feed ramp it pushed back into the case jamming the action. :noway:

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I have shot the HP for awhile, they really don't expand well at all. But they will go thru a metal 55gal drum, they behave more like a FMJ than a HP.

Mak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Seymour
    I haven't heard many good things about hornaday jhp, but I don't have any issues with the few I've shot. I shot a lot more of the brown bear fmj and haven't had any problems with those. Anybody other than Deet have experience with silver bear hp?

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    My brother an I have found the same. Little to no expansion on the Silver Bear JHP. Using EG, and Bulgarian Makarov, PA-63, CZ-82 handguns.

Cheers

gcoop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Purchased some HORNADY 9x18 MAK 95gr. JHP/XTP at the most recent Indy 1500 gun show that works very well in my East German MAK. Very happy with the HORNADY ammo.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Istnt the silver bear ammo steel jacket with a copper wash? The other com-block hollowpoints I have seen are, and do not open up with any reliability.
    Midway has Hornady, Buffalo Bore, and Glaser listed with expanding bullets. Prices on the Buffalo Bore are higher, but not completely outrageous, but the glaser ammo is a little too expensive in my opinion.

Top Bottom