• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    One step above nothing at all I would say. Guess it would be good for a guy without a lot of money.

Outdated for sure.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    To me the changeable barrels are a double edges sword that I am dealing with currently.

I have a T.C. Contender frame that I am looking to barrel. It gives me heart burn to spend as much on a barrel as you can get a complete rifle for. If they could get the barrel swaps down price wise to where it made more sense I would be totally on board. I remember hearing that H&R used to do new caliber barrel swaps for +-$150.00. I could totally get on board with that but everything I am seeing now is +-$300.00.

I can't make the math work.:dunno:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Bob Jones: got started in contender pistols at a very good time. Frames were 125 and 14 inch pistol barrels were 135. May have been long enough ago to make those 300 dollar barrels about the same overall cost as everything was cheaper then. Had to be able to deer hunt at distance and min 35 R.E.M. Or 7-30 waters that was about as good as it got in legal equipment at the time. Do not have a ton of barrels but enough that the need for more is not great but the want always is.

Rounds that rest on the rim seem to be the go to in accuracy for contenders. The 7-30 waters groups better than the 35 R.E.M.
    With some work the 223 barrel has become more accurate than I can shoot it in pistol form.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I was told by a good hunter, when I started hunting in the 1950's that the best way to learn to hunt was to use a single shot! First it taught you to stalk game until you were close enough for a one shot kill, cause if you missed you usually lost the game you wanted to take home. It also forced you to practice until you could hit what you were shooting at every time, for the same reasons as above. I took game with my single shot shotgun, did hunt with a bolt action Mossburg 22, only because it was the only rifle I could use as it was loaned to me by a dear friend. I still can hear the pop-pop of some of my friends shooting semi-auto rifles, but I usually brought home more squirrels than any of them. I have a Thompson Contender handgun, and a muzzle loader, and just bought my first single shot rifle in a long time ~ the ArmaLite AR50A1 BMG, though I don't think many would ever hunt with it!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    How fast you pushing those to need a gas check?

Well, not a matter of velocity really but rather the belt and suspenders approach. Armor plating the hind end to avoid the beginnings of the gas cutting of soft alloy is my preferred method with rifles. I really hate scrubbing hardened lead back out. So any how, that's the way I designed the mold. Come to think of it my favorite 45ACP mold is an old Ideal gas check design (photo below).
    Oh, and I haven't unpacked the chrono since relocating the fun room. So I don't know yet how fast they're going.
    It's going to be interesting to see how fast they can be got going.

Yeah, a gas checked design for a 45ACP is pretty goofy, well, unless you're selling gas checks!
    But I have boxes of the 1960's brass gas checks to use up so OK it's what the 1911 has for dinner.
    452484 HP.jpg
    In this case though it lets me use goose stuff soft alloy for expansion after getting the mold hollow pointed. Haven't tried it out in the 45 Colt carbine yet. Bet it would give explosive expansion though I couldn't imagine what for.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So, if I have a 9/16" ratchet wrench do I still need/want a 9/16 open end? :dunno:

Single shots help teach patience, aiming not spraying, and they are both interesting and fun. I choose all wrench types myself. Can't have too many tools.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I have all kinds of guns from plastic pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns and a bunch of Contenders and an Encore or two (both handguns and rifles). If I had to start selling guns the Contenders would be the last to go. I personally get more satisfaction out of shooting 1" groups at 100 yards with a handgun than doing what I consider a mag dump. Contender barrels can still be found used for around $200 if you know where to look.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I enjoy single shot firearms simply because they make my range days longer, create more discussion when they shoot well (currently only H&R at the moment), and are simpler to reload for. Most single shot designs are also simple enough that even a basic tinkerer can fix/replace broken parts. I would really like a good quality falling block to mess with, but the break actions have honestly filled the needs I have had. T/C, Rossi, H&R, Mossberg, and a Remington I had were all excellent shooters.

I believe they have a place above all other types of firearms, whether it be due to elegance or utility, in some circumstances. As a defensive firearm, they are truly lacking by today's standards. As a training, hunting, or tool of opportunity you leave in a vehicle, etc. they provided a simple pleasure similar to a slow draught on a sweet blend in the cob.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom