• ...and so much more!
  • PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    Just getting into reloading and having some issues with case sizing (I think)

I made about 25 .223’s and decided to take a random sample of 5 for testing before I continued production. Of the 5 tests. One would not go into battery. The case was about 1/4 inch from seated and refused to move. I ended up having to take apart the rifle and pry the bolt carrier back with a screwdriver cause I couldn’t force it back just with the charging handle.

My question is about die setup.
    When running my casings through the resizing die does it do the whole case or just the neck? Is there a way to adjust it? Was this something I should have caught prior to loading? And finally, do I just scrap the whole batch and start over?

Attachments

• IMG_6655.jpeg
      IMG_6655.jpeg
      638 KB · Views: 19
    • IMG_6656.jpeg
      IMG_6656.jpeg
      736.9 KB · Views: 19

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I made about 25 .223’s and decided to take a random sample of 5 for testing before I continued production. Of the 5 tests. One would not go into battery. The case was about 1/4 inch from seated and refused to move. I ended up having to take apart the rifle and pry the bolt carrier back with a screwdriver cause I couldn’t force it back just with the charging handle.

When running my casings through the resizing die does it do the whole case or just the neck? Is there a way to adjust it? Was this something I should have caught prior to loading? And finally, do I just scrap the whole batch and start over?
    What companys sizing die are you using?
    Edit, it looks like Lee dies.

Is the sizing die cranked down so the die is touching the shellholder and then cranked down about another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn more so the press cams over a bit with the handle all the way down?

#0 Order Lee Precision Modern Reloading 2 book.
    #1 Order yourself a 223 case gauge for starters.
    #2 Run your sizer die down father.

Last edited:

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg

Creedmoor has your answers. I don't reload rifle but Lee dies are made to be full-length resizing; they resize the whole case.

One of many options for gauging your loads is:

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    What companys sizing die are you using?
    Edit, it looks like Lee dies.

Is the sizing die cranked down so the die is touching the shellholder and then cranked down about another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn more so the press cams over a bit with the handle all the way down?

#0 Order Lee Precision Modern Reloading 2 book.
    #1 Order yourself a 223 case gauge for starters.
    #2 Run your sizer die down father.
    I believe I have the die cranked down properly. I’m going to order a new set of dies I think cause I only have 2 and the set looks like there should be a 3rd. (All of my stuff is from an estate sale and I’m just trying to make sense of it.)

I’m also using Lyman 48th edition reloading handbook but I’m having some issues with powder cause most of the powder I got in the estate sale is 20+ years old and I’m not finding much if any reloading data available online

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    From the look of the dies in the pic, I think you have a neck sizing die. Usually Lee sizing die is also a de-priming die with a nut on top holding the pin.
    My neck sizing die looks like the one in the back.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The RCBS small based resizing die solved problems for me on 300BLK (same case as .223) a few years back. It was recommended on another forum specific to 300BLK.

Nothing wrong with Lee dies, but this one is a better full legnth sizer for .223/300BLK. Especially in semi-autos.

https://www.rcbs.com/dies-and-shell...--group-a---popular-rifle-cartridges/778.html

Are you aware that Lee dies in calibers that come in auto loading, lever and pump rifles are small base dies, Just like Dillons are.
    Thats one of the reasons Lee advertises there dies will size cases that fit all.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I believe I have the die cranked down properly. I’m going to order a new set of dies I think cause I only have 2 and the set looks like there should be a 3rd. (All of my stuff is from an estate sale and I’m just trying to make sense of it.)

I’m also using Lyman 48th edition reloading handbook but I’m having some issues with powder cause most of the powder I got in the estate sale is 20+ years old and I’m not finding much if any reloading data available online
    "Lyman 48th edition reloading handbook"
    ^^^
    In this-READ-READ-READ the case prep section.
    A good case gauge is your FRIEND.

Three things that you must have:
    FULL Length size die (I do NOT like Lee Dies!!==FLAME ON People)
    GOOD case lube
    STUCK CASE REMOVER==Trust me on this one!! HA.HA....Bill.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    "Lyman 48th edition reloading handbook"
    ^^^
    In this-READ-READ-READ the case prep section.
    A good case gauge is your FRIEND.

Three things that you must have:
    FULL Length size die (I do NOT like Lee Dies!!==FLAME ON People)
    GOOD case lube
    STUCK CASE REMOVER==Trust me on this one!! HA.HA....Bill.

I have been pretty happy with all of my Lee dies. The only non-Lee die I have is a Lyman M die for neck expansion. With the rifle cartridges, lube and lube process are definitely the key regardless of die brand. I like the Sheridan case gages for rifle cartridges:

1697651542804.png

Top Bottom