• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have been gathering casting equipment & supplies, getting ready to start soon.

I don't plan to cast for my large volume shooting, (9mm, .223) but do plan to cast for lower volume calibers.

I plan to use Hi-Tec coating instead of traditional lubs, 10mm, 45-70, 44mag, 357, etc.

Probably around 1000 at a time, not sure if I should use standard Lee sizing dies in single stage press or Lee App with the bullet sizing kit. Leaning toward the Lee App.

Looking for recommendations.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have been gathering casting equipment & supplies, getting ready to start soon.

I don't plan to cast for my large volume shooting, (9mm, .223) but do plan to cast for lower volume calibers.

I plan to use Hi-Tec coating instead of traditional lubs, 10mm, 45-70, 44mag, 357, etc.

Probably around 1000 at a time, not sure if I should use standard Lee sizing dies in single stage press or Lee App with the bullet sizing kit. Leaning toward the Lee App.

Looking for recommendations.
    I started with a Lyman lube sizer, then to a Saeco over more sizer options. Then when I started goofing with powder and HI Tech coating in wadcutters I got a single Lee push through die.
    I usually run a few thousand at a time when I cast, and the thought of running a few thousand through a push through didn't sound fun. Off to research I went.
    I was pushed to this by a friend and I rode to his house to see it work.
    It frickin worked, and worked well.
    This is what I bought.

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    I wasn't sure if I would like casting my own bullets, so I tried to limit my costs to get started. I got the cheapest Lee breach lock C-frame press and the Lee sizing dies. I've found that I thoroughly enjoy it, but still use the same equipment. I usually do batches of 100 to 200 bullets at a time though.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I think you can tell I like gadgets & machines. I looked at that some time ago but didn't see a price, how much do those little gems run?
    Yea, he didn't have a website then either. I called and talked to Dan a few times before I bought his machine. Super smart man to talk to
    If I recall with all the dies , parts it was around $1500.00 to $1650.00 delivered. I can easily size 75 to 100 bullets a minute with it. Another way to look at with the ease of sizing after Hi Tech 9mm is the number one bullet I cast and load. A four or six cavity mold makes short work with casting. And I'm not really a Lee guy but Richard makes a great 6 cavity 124 gr 9mm mold.
    Now with that said, other than videos. I would like to see Lee's App working. But as reasonable as one is I easily would try one for fun and see how it works sledging, sizing cases and bullets.

Edit, I do have a question, are any of toy 45-70 bullet molds Bore Riders? I know with big postells my Browning's they will not fully chamber with PC or Hi Tech coating on tapered bore rider nose of the bullet.

Last edited:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I recently picked up a 45-70, no molds for it yet. Will probably try to get a 300gr-350gr for my first one, unless I run across a deal on a heavy first.

The Dandix looks like a nice machine, can't invest that much into it at this time though. He emailed me back today, $1350 for the machine + dies.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I recently picked up a 45-70, no molds for it yet. Will probably try to get a 300gr-350gr for my first one, unless I run across a deal on a heavy first.

The Dandix looks like a nice machine, can't invest that much into it at this time though. He emailed me back today, $1350 for the machine + dies.
    I geti t, it is a bunch of cash.
    If you buy the Lee App please post your findings.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've always just used gas checks on gas check designed bullets. I've read the arguments on both sides and decided just to use gas checks.
    Ok, thats fair.
    I've read both sides over the years. In the decades that I have been casting, I've never seen the need to use a gas check myself. I was taught if the bullet is sliding down the barrel, its either sized incorrectly or it needs a bit tougher alloy.
    Thanks.

Top Bottom