• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Some of the more modern synthetic fiber bags, while quite as warm as down/feather bags, are not quite as sensitive to "insulation crush" as down or some of the older synthetics.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    If I know that my conditions are going to be subzero, which they have been while backpacking...it's a North Face Tundra for me...just under 4 pounds for -20 deg F protection.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    One other issue is the detergent you wash the bag with. I've had very good luck with Woolite and a front-loading washer set on hand wash cycle. Then throw it in the dryer at the lowest heat setting. Seems to do just fine with the Wiggy's bags. That Climashield insulation is good stuff!

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    if you dry your bags in the dryer do yourself a favor and throw in 4-5 tennis balls. they break up the clumps and allow it to dry faster and more even.

That's probably a real good idea on almost all bags. I think a lot of the problem with clumping is how the bag is made and the insulation that is used. I have not had any problem with clumping with the Climashield insulation, which is continuous fiber, not chopped up as I understand some of the synthetic insulation is.

I have had some serious clumping when washing down jackets and the tennis balls would take care of that.

Another issue for cold weather use is to let your sleeping bags air/dry out in the sun. They can pick up a lot of moisture in the insulation from the body over night. Depending on where the dewpoint temperature is in the bag they will start to collect frost in the insulation. For this reason some people use a VBL (vapor barrier liner) inside of their bags. It's essentially a liner for the bag that's vapor proof. The moisture is trapped in the VBL next to your body. The body sense the increase in moisture and begins to shut/slow down the moisture generation as everything reaches equilibrium.

rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    I went with the Teton XL - 25 off of Ebay 138.00 for both shipped.

i went ahead and bought 2 off of ebay as well, same price. really really awesome deal saved me 60 from buying on amazon at least. thanks! got them in the mail already and they're quality bags.:D

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Would it stink like down after washing and drying?

The synthetic insulation does not smell when wet, if it's just water. I have not noticed much of an odor from wet down.

Wet merino wool is however a different story. Smells like wet dog until it dries.:):

Top Bottom