• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The rains have started here in Lafayette and at stately Freeman Manor I ran outside to bring in the city-issued brown "Toter" trash can from the street to the detached garage up the hill in the back of the house (btw, an empty Dasani water case wrapper makes excellent rain-proof headgear).

Upon my return to the attached garage, I noted several slugs on the outside of the house. I ran inside and scraped them into a 3/4 Dasani bottle in which I poured the remains of a Blue Moon.

Where are the slugs coming from? What is the best way to prevent their return?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ducks apparently.

Ducks are champion slug eaters. Well, duck egg supply problem is over but just don't tell code enforcement.

hqdefault.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So in order to kill the sex drive of the slugs I have to get them jobs and responsibilities where the stress, long hours and being yelled at and whined to all day will kill the libido?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That could work. Or you could start leaving other slug apparel strewn around the yard so there accusations and fights, thus leading to one of them leaving and creating a pre-mating isolation barrier. Probably easier to find them a job, I know I have seen many of them working around Indy...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I discovered a bunch in and around a woodpile and see one or a few around otherwise. I see signs of them eating a lot more.
    Staying tuned for the preferred eradication methods...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I discovered a bunch in and around a woodpile and see one or a few around otherwise. I see signs of them eating a lot more.
    Staying tuned for the preferred eradication methods...

We moved the woodpile to a new location last week. Besides the regulars(spiders, millipedes, other crawly things....there was a butt load of slugs.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I was just reading on a gardening forum that you can spread diatomaceous earth around the areas where you don't want them (around plants in particular but seems like along the foundation of the house would work as well).

Slugs

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Hey, free duck food, I'll go for that; got some eggiewegs in the incubator. Didn't run the first batch warm enough; maybe this time...

Top Bottom