Smith & Wesson 642 Airframe hammer less upgrades.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midwestmobster

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2023
    Indianapolis
    What would be a good kit to make the trigger pull lighter on these things without decreasing reliability while firing? Name of good kit as well as ease of install and maybe a YouTube link would be cool. If not just your personal experiences with J frame upgrades.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a new-to-me 442 that I installed an Apex kit in including the longer firing pin for increased reliability this week. I highly recommend it esp if you have arthritis like I do. The stock springs that came from S&W weren't too bad but this pistol shoots like a dream even with hard primers.

They are easy to install but I am an armorer. If you have difficulty, I can assist you but you'd have to drive up to Kokomo.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I have a new-to-me 442 that I installed an Apex kit in including the longer firing pin for increased reliability this week. I highly recommend it esp if you have arthritis like I do. The stock springs that came from S&W weren't too bad but this pistol shoots like a dream even with hard primers.

They are easy to install but I am an armorer. If you have difficulty, I can assist you but you'd have to drive up to Kokomo.
    Do you need any particular tools to do the installation?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I made a modified flat screwdriver with a U notch milled in it to ease pushing the spring cup down on the mainspring stirrup but I suppose if you are careful, you can use a pair of needlenose pliers. The big thing is using the correct size screwdriver bits so you don't wallow out the slots of the screws holding the side plate in the rest of the frame. Just bop the frame until the plate pops off. There are a couple pieces that could fall out so don't go crazy as to lose the orientation of the spring and rebound slide. The hammer block just sits in the in a slot so don't drop it. The hand will probably need to be pulled back for it to clear. Just watch the YouTube video on installing an Apex system if you get cornfused. Piece of cake!

Top Bottom