• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    OK - I've got a S&W 2214 that I bought new (or nearly so) many years ago, possibly '93 or '94. (on a side note, I'm learning that these aren't too common now. Makes me miss my 2206 all the more)

It sat in my ammo box for a good 10 years or so. The last time I used it before that I had cleaned it and I put at least a little oil on the slide, but not sure if I did anywhere else.

I took it out a couple of months ago and shot it for the first time. Before doing so, I stripped it down and looked things over, but didn't oil it.

So, out of around 50-70 rounds fired that day, at least 5 times the pistol failed to fully cycle and eject the rounds. When it jammed, it was not fully ejecting the spent case. I never had an issue with feeding a new round and as long as the case was ejected, it cycled and fired fine.

There were 3 different brands of ammo that I had and they all did that at least once. The newest ones were some cheap Federals that I picked up at Wally a few weeks before going out. At least a couple of mags were CCI hollow points and I forget what the other ones were.

My question is this: is this most likely just a matter of oiling the heck out of any moving parts in it or is there likely something up with the recoil spring that it's not letting the slide cycle all the way back?

Thanks

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    At the risk of a zombie thread - I finally got out with the 2214 and it cycled fine. I oiled the heck out of it and cycled it by hand several times. It then sat in my box on the shelf until a week or two ago when I was at the farm again.

I had forgotten what a nice trigger it has. But of course, I was also shooting the Grendel P-12 too, which has a terrible trigger feel.

I'm glad that at least it didn't give me any feed issues this time around.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Glad it worked out. I have never had to run my 2213 particularly wet nor had any ammo issues except with Aguila subsonics.

They are great.

Top Bottom