• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been reloading .45 acp with Hodgdon Titegroup powder, 4.3 - 4.4 grains, and I've noticed that it's very smokey... like almost black powder smokey. Is that normal for Titegroup? I'm using Sellier & Beloit primers. I don't get a big fireball like I would expect if all the powder wasn't burned by the time it got to the end of the barrel. Anyone have any ideas? :dunno: I don't see a lot of soot on the gun when I'm done, like I've seen before with the Federal bulk ammo.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Take your Titegroup, spread it on the lawn and go get some real powder!

That stuff has just too little in the case, burns too hot and is too dangerous for single stage reloaders to tell if there is a double charge in the case. Personally, W231/HP-38 would be much better for your loads and running them towards the top of the data will help too.

Most likely it is the lube and no matter what powder you use, there is going to be smoke, nature of the beast. (Lead bullets)

That being said, you can get decent results if you load towards the top of the data for any powder you use.

In recent years, every single KABOOM I have heard of had Titegroup linked to it. Been reloading for quite a few years, 30ish and I'm not going to use it.

Just my opinion, and, yours may vary. Free country..................for a while yet. ;)

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I use titegroup for quite a few different calibers. 9mm lead loads smoke quite a bit for me if I get into rapid fire situation, like shooting steel. I am thinking about switching powders on 9mm for that reason. I load 3.8 grains in my 9mm loads, if you double charge that it fills the case quite full, so if you can't see that you shouldn't be reloading to begin with.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have used nothing but TiteGroup for my 9mm reloads. I have loaded 2,000 + rounds. Never had an issue, and it's no smokier then any factory ammo I have fired. In response to Skips comment. If I where to double charge my 9mm loads, the powder would spill out of the case. If you can not tell that you have double charged a case, you have no buisness reloading on my opinion.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    U. S.,
    Do you know what the minimum charge is for a 44Mag with Titegroup? 4.7gr! How many of those charges will fill that case? Sure, the maximum goes to 10gr but still, good reloading practices dictate that case fill come into play at some point. In the little thimble that is known as the 9MM, sure, might be a place for this, in my opinion, worthless powder. 25ACP might be another place too. Other than that, I can't think of a single other caliber I would load it in other than maybe the 32ACP.

Just me though, and, diversity is what makes the world interesting. If we were all the same, everyone would use Bullseye, Unique and 2400.............STILL! ;)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Skip is right, the very best possible powder will fill the case. Especially in the old school cartridge cases, not many powders actually do that. I load titegroup in 9mm, full power .38spl, .40 and .45 as well as 12 gauge. It works acceptably in most handgun cartridges. A generation ago a huge amount of reloaders were using Hercules Bullseye powder, and that was the powder that was blamed for many blown up firearms. I think that titegroup has taken over the bullseye popularity and so the amount of aforementioned ka-booms. User error is a problem. I can certainly tell the difference between a single charge and a double charge even in volumous cases like the .44 or the .45 COLT. Bottom line in reloading, pay attention to details. Set up your reloading process for lots of checking at each step. Avoid distractions. One man I know who always has ammo problems, including damaged weapons, has a TV in his reloading room and an ever present Scotch on the rocks on his loading bench. Reloading is not magic, but it depends on every step being right. Good Luck

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If I double-charge a case, with any load recipe I use, powder will be spilling out into the reloading block or onto my press. There is NO chance I will miss it. We're all human beings; we're fallible. Use a process, and products, that are "idiot-proof". You'll get better performance from your ammo, even if it does cost you an extra penny of powder, per round. :rolleyes:

Reloading has what are known as "best practices". A charge of powder that is less than 50% of case capacity is NOT following them. Power Pistol, FTW! ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks guys! :ingo: I bet it IS the bullet lube. I've never shot just plain lead cast bullets prior to this, so I wasn't aware of it. I'm not seeing any leading of the barrel, so from what I understand, the load I've been using is okay. I may try a different powder after I use up the Titegroup. I can see that's going to be part of the fun of this hobby... the experimentation to find what works best for your needs. :)

Top Bottom