• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Here locally there have been several indoor 22 shoots firing bird shot.
    I enjoy this and so do my kids, I would like to find a very high quality best shooting smooth bore 22 rifle.. OR can a rifled 22 be bored out smooth, and what is the best rifle to bore out? If so who does this kind of work preferrable in southern indiana or louisville ky area. I would rather do this ftf but would ship out if necessary.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Interesting post. I have never heard of this. What do you shoot at?

I and lots of folks turn toward the 50 foot smallbore range in the winter, but we are trying to shoot very small targets from 4 positions with 22 target rifles.

The old saying is; "the road to 1000 yards begins at 50 feet".

Regards...

Last edited:

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Why do you want the smooth bore? You can shoot #12 shot out of a rifled barrel just fine.

I was under the impression that if you shoot shot out of a rifled barrel that it spins the shot and when it leaves the barrel it expands in to a donut pattern. It makes the pattern larger very fast compared to a smooth bore gun.

My smooth bore 22 has a nice removable "choke" that I can replace with a rifled "choke"" that allows me to shoot regular 22lr. Its great for shooting japanese beetles and wood boring bees.

Chuck

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    About the best guns you can find for the indoor shoots is an old remington 510 or a 514 ....awsome smooth bore .22's
    and probably what alot of the old guys are usung at the indoor shoot your going to ..

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Or you could find a new production Remington 572...I use this one for wing shooting Cicada Killers at my local range. Pattern much better with the cheap Winchester crimped shells than it does with the encapsulated CCI rounds.

572.jpg

ZapSnap_964.png

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Why do you want the smooth bore? You can shoot #12 shot out of a rifled barrel just fine.

Yes rifled barrels are capable of shooting bird shot, but nothing even close to consistently. We are talking about shooting for money, winning $40 every thime you pull the trigger, and pulling the trigger 20 to 30 times in a shoot.
    They shoot indoors at paper targets about 15 feet away, closest to the center wins. The shots frequently are judged with magnifing glasses, they can be very close.
    You might get lucky once in a while with a rifled barrel but you aint gonna win often.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Winchester made the Model 67 in a smooth bore variant but they bring a premium. If you can use custom any of the barrel makers should be able to make the barrel you need by just selling it after polishing the bore and before rifling.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Marlin

Marlin Model Mark I G is a smoothbore .22 bolt action. I own one and it was very reasonable to buy, $125-150.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Many years ago when I was a Boy Scout we used a sort of .22 RF "Mini-Trap" system to learn and practice wingshooting skills. IIRC, it was made by Mossberg, although I also recall that most all of the major U.S. manufacturers seemed to produce at least a model or two of a "garden gun" .22 RF smoothbore.

Very challenging game as I remember, and great fun.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I was under the impression that if you shoot shot out of a rifled barrel that it spins the shot and when it leaves the barrel it expands in to a donut pattern. It makes the pattern larger very fast compared to a smooth bore gun.

My smooth bore 22 has a nice removable "choke" that I can replace with a rifled "choke"" that allows me to shoot regular 22lr. Its great for shooting japanese beetles and wood boring bees.

Chuck

That happens with shotgun shells because the shot is contained in a wadding and spins with the rifling. That causes the shot to be slung in a wide pattern quickly. I have never seen a .22 shotshell with the shot wrapped in a wadding.

Also, remember that the weapon you are describing is a shotgun. You need an 18" barrel and not a 16" as allowed for a rifle. If the barrel is less than 18" and has a smoothbore, it is a Sawed Off shotgun in Indiana!

And yes, that is my opinion!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom