So first time out with a new-to-me Rem700(.308)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    So went down to Atterbury this weekend to see what I could do with the new-to-me Rem 700 ADL + Cabelas 4-14x40 scope I traded for last week.

Started out at 50 yards to make sure it was on paper (Previous owner stated it may have been jostled in his trunk) and no issues.

So after a few mags through the AK and about 9 rounds through the 700 we headed over to the 100 yard range where we put another 14 rounds or so through the remington.

Final 4 shots after a few slight adjustments are pictured below. I think it shoots better than me to be honest, I was using one of the "ladder rack" front rests and using my off hand to support the rear of the rifle.

I'm sure in the hands of a better shot the results would have been more impressive but I'm pretty happy for my first time out with it.

Now I'm itching to get it out and really stretch it's legs but I've got to get some more practice and some extra ammo built up for that kind of trip.

IMAG0402.jpg

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Very nice shooting with a new (to you) rifle. Good job.

Thank you!

Yeah, I was mentally preparing myself to be terrible with it as I have never really fired a "high power" rifle.... pretty much all of my rifle work has been .223, .22, 7.62x39 etc....

I was pleasantly surprised. While this was my best group, none of my groups were what I would have considered "bad".

:yesway: Nice results, looks like you have a very capable gun.

Thanks!

Now I need to get my skills up to the same capability so I can justify investing in some serious glass as I'd like to join CIHPRS and start shooting at 500+ yards.

On a side note, anyone know how much pressure it should take to operate the action on one of these rifles (Rem 700 ADL .308)? The action seemed a little stiff to me, but I don't have a lot of experience with these to compare it with.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Great to hear you're pleased!

You should be able to open the bolt with two fingers. If the headspace is a little tight you may find some brass extracts easily and some takes a little more force. I wouldn't consider 20lbs of force on the bolt excessive, though it is always nice when it's less than that.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Great to hear you're pleased!

You should be able to open the bolt with two fingers. If the headspace is a little tight you may find some brass extracts easily and some takes a little more force. I wouldn't consider 20lbs of force on the bolt excessive, though it is always nice when it's less than that.

Man, 20lbs sounds like a lot to me, I'd say it probably less than 20 lbs but it's more than what I'm comfortable with. I had to break my shooting position every time I operated the bolt. That won't do if I plan on doing decent in NRA HP/HP LR matches.

Top Bottom