• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    I just got a Lyman reloading book and I have to say I am disappointed. It has very limited load data. The forums I read about it says it is the best book to own but I kinda disagree. Any comments?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    It is a very good starting point for all things reloading. Lee Modern Reloading is another valuable resource as are the web sites of the powder manufactures.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    My Lyman book has been a valuable reference. Lyman's book is the only major reloading manual not published by a bullet manufacturer that specifies the EXACT components used to develop their loads with more bullet brands and styles than any other manual.

Lee's data is good but it is compiled from pre-existing manufacturer data. They do not develop any of their own loads. Sierra's and Hornady's manuals are fantastic, but they're specifically for their own bullets and in some cases, powder choices are limited.

The Lyman manual strikes a balance between all others. Several bullet styles and weights for each caliber, with good powder choices. Some complain that Lyman only gives starting and max data and doesn't do velocity data at intervals. If you need that data, my friend, you are an ammunition assembler, not a handloader.

Lyman #49 is not the panacea of reloading books, but it belongs on everyone's shelf.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What he said. ^

If you have a favorite bullet manufacturer, then get their book too. Hornady's book is next on my list. Otherwise, the powder manufacturer's web sites are a good source for load data. Hodgdon puts out an annual "magazine" type load book, in fact it's about time to start looking for it on the shelf, but there's hardly anything there that isn't on their web site. Alliant, Accurate, Vihtavouri, Ramshot, etc., all have data on their sites too. Alliant is probably the worst. Hodgdon (Winchester, IMR) is the best. Accurate is pretty decent.

If you are unsure of any load, or find discrepancies between manual, I have found that most of the powder manufacturers will get you and answer within a day or so. The ballistician will have a wealth of knowledge that doesn't get published.

Also remember that discrepancies can be the result of the differences in primer and powder lots, case brand, bullet brand, and the test gun used to measure the data, which is why we always start low and work up.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    Yes it does have a lot of info. But I load copper plated pistol loads and it doesn't have any data for any cp. I know to use lead data or starting loads on them but it is limited on that as well. It lists a different style of bullet for each weight ex, fmj, tmj, Jhp, ect. Then it doesn't have a verry wide selection on powders. Specificly the accurate powder I like to use.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Lyman's 49th is a great resource for reloading dorks. (like me.) It doesn't just have info on what powder charge to use with certain bullets, but it gives the history of each cartridge, when it was developed, how, why, and by whom. That's very good information to know if you reload.

True, it doesn't make loading any easier, but a good reloader should know the history and the story behind the calibers he's loading. Makes the whole process more special.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I agree with Andrew. I own a copy of Lyman's 49th and I like to randomly pick out a caliber and read the history of it even if it's not a caliber I reload or shoot.

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Yes it does have a lot of info. But I load copper plated pistol loads and it doesn't have any data for any cp. I know to use lead data or starting loads on them but it is limited on that as well. It lists a different style of bullet for each weight ex, fmj, tmj, Jhp, ect. Then it doesn't have a verry wide selection on powders. Specificly the accurate powder I like to use.
    www.berrysmfg.com FAQ: How do I load Berry's preferred plated bullets?

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    So would the majority say that Lyman's would be the best reference for the beginner/non-branded reloader? I picked up ABC's at the local library and have been slowing reading through it, but wondered if there is something else better or needed besides a branded manual like Speers, Lee's, etc.?

Top Bottom