• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have 3.5 acres that I believe may support a pond.
    Where do I go to find the regulations regarding new water features?
    I've heard if you go too big the feds wants to get involved.
    Anyone here have any information on this?

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Your county should have that information, possibly in the zoning rules. Should be on line. Jasper county has that information there online.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have 3.5 acres that I believe may support a pond.
    Where do I go to find the regulations regarding new water features?
    I've heard if you go too big the feds wants to get involved.
    Anyone here have any information on this?
    IIRC any dam over 20' requires an engineer to sign off. County may want to inspect site and may have concerns if overflow affects roadways. Anyone who does excavation for a living should be able to give you the basics if they've been at it a while.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    IIRC any dam over 20' requires an engineer to sign off. County may want to inspect site and may have concerns if overflow affects roadways. Anyone who does excavation for a living should be able to give you the basics if they've been at it a while.
    No dam required as there is no running water on the property.
    I simply want to dig a hole and fill it up.
    I've done some excavating on the property and I have a good bit of clay that should seal the bottom.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Have a buddy farmer that had a pond built with a shallow end to make it look more natural with reeds and grasses. State came in and declared it a wetland and it affected how close he could have tillable land to the pond. Check all the possible downsides.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Have a buddy farmer that had a pond built with a shallow end to make it look more natural with reeds and grasses. State came in and declared it a wetland and it affected how close he could have tillable land to the pond. Check all the possible downsides.
    Good point but on only 3.5 acres, he is probably not worried about tillage restrictions.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    No dam required as there is no running water on the property.
    I simply want to dig a hole and fill it up.
    I've done some excavating on the property and I have a good bit of clay that should seal the bottom.
    I would start by talking to your local county government. They should have someone who can pull up topo maps to tell you how much runoff will be going into the lake. Just digging a hole might not fill up depending on how the land lays.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Yeah - start with the county extension agent.

Here's a link: https://www.landcan.org/local-resources/Tippecanoe-County-Farm-Service-Agency/60207/

If they can't help - they can certainly help point you in the right direction.

I'd also suspect that the closer you are to Lafayette proper, the more difficult it'll be.

I kind of considered southern Tippecanoe Co a "second home" before I moved out and on my own. I like it there...and south.

Anyhow, I digress: I know you've said that you've done some excavating and know you have clay soil. Take it from a a guy who used to do sub-surface soil investigations: Most of what we think of being clay soils doesn't contain very much clay at all. The super hard soils that underlay much of the northern 2/3rds of IN is glacial till - which is a super hard unconsolidated mixture of gravel, sand, majority silt, and some clay.

I digressed again: Probably wise to have a few test bores done to determine if the soil will hold a pond is what I'm getting at. Doing some quick and dirty googling - i saw ranges anywhere from 30% to 60% clay being ideal for ponds.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Top Bottom