So in marion community school systems we are laying off teachers and wait WHAT!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Got these emails about a coach Marion High School is trying to higher:

did you hear the news, blackmon is staying at bishop leurs.

Now they have retracted that, sources close to Blackmon say he hasnt made his decision. Let's see if I get this right, he resigned before because he got arrested with marijuana, the school is on probation, he cant teach, no teaching certificate,they are laying off teachers, but they are going to pay him to coach and be an administrative assistant. What's wrong with this picture?

Now I am not trying to start an argument over the possession bit. It is illegal at this point in time and there is no argument there so I don't really want to see any rambling about it. But at a time where my former high school is on academic probation and cutting arts and technical classes why are we trying to spare room in the budget for a person who can serve one role and one role alone: a high school basketball coach with a record and not the kind you get from winning basketball games.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    I heard the teachers were getting raises? At least that's start I thought the union has negotiated. I work for transportation and we were promised raises if the teachers got them.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I heard the teachers were getting raises? At least that's start I thought the union has negotiated. I work for transportation and we were promised raises if the teachers got them.

I know of several teachers that have been RIF'd and told there more than likely won't be any call backs because the budget is so bad.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    I won't be back next year if I can help it. I know we are the lowest paid drivers around here. I can only imagine what they pay the teachers. I put up with the kids for about 3 hours. Imagine a whole day. They get worse every year to. Marion schools are so bad that parents that care and can afford to leave the school corp. Filters down to the kids whose parents don't care. Bad kids scare away good teachers. With bad teachers it makes bad kids and so on and so on. Of course this doesn't apply to all. Im surprised the state hasn't taken over like they keep threatening to do.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I won't be back next year if I can help it. I know we are the lowest paid drivers around here. I can only imagine what they pay the teachers. I put up with the kids for about 3 hours. Imagine a whole day. They get worse every year to. Marion schools are so bad that parents that care and can afford to leave the school corp. Filters down to the kids whose parents don't care. Bad kids scare away good teachers. With bad teachers it makes bad kids and so on and so on. Of course this doesn't apply to all. Im surprised the state hasn't taken over like they keep threatening to do.

You hit the nail on the head, the problem is the parents. Part of the reason Marion is on academic probation (and this was explained to me by a teacher outside of MCS) is because they have a large special education program that skews the results of the ISTEP testing. The special education students testing results is not separated when averaging out the test scores and you can imagine how that may skew the view of Marion's testing results. Another large problem that I experienced first hand is that most disciplinary problems are treated as a race or creed issue first and foremost. I got in a fist fight with a kid because he hit me first so I defended myself. I was threatened with expulsion because the other guy was of another background than I. I digress the problem at Marion has been long in progress and the good teachers have given up and moved to different districts.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    I've seen more of everything getting over looked. The school is hurting for money so bad they can't afford to let students stay home. I've seen kids fight, draw blood, use weapons, and be in school the next day. Maybe in school suspension just so they don't lose a dime. I feel sorry for the teachers trying to work and teach with no support. Kind of like calling the police because a robber is in your house, then they just tell them not to do it again and send them on their way. Whose gonna be in your house tomorrow night... Lol

Top Bottom