So...just took my mossy 500 apart to clean it...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I know, you were expecting a help thread to get it back together...

My stepdad says he never cleans his shotguns. No idea why. This is the first time taking it apart and cleaning it. I didn't take the trigger housing apart and clean lube because I have about 250 rounds through it, and it's not super dirty.

Anyways, wondering if anyone else doesn't clean their scatterguns, and also looking for pointers on getting this thing to cycle a bit smoother. I lightly oiled the bolt and carrier and put a drop of oil on the rails. It's better now, I just won't be using it for a bit and am looking at tinkering to get it running like a top. I've had zero malfunctions, and I like it, just wondering what everyone does. It's a standard 500 with a 28" field barrel.

T

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I've had multiple M500/590 Mossbergs and my standard first-cleaning procedure goes something like this:

COMPLETELY disassemble the action.
    File and/or stone every burr I can find.
    Check the inside of the receiver for anodizing "blooms" on any sharp edges or corners.
    Remove a couple of coils from all the trigger group springs (I don't recommend you do this because it can be dangerous, but it's what I do.)
    Liberally oil all components and assemblies and hit them with an air blast to remove the excess.
    Reassemble checking the fit and function of each component and assembly.
    Replace that absurd plastic safety button if yours is so equipped. I like the express-type slider, but just make sure whatever you choose is metal.
    Soften the forcing cone.
    Check all fastening components: stock screw, forend nut, barrel nut, etc.

After all that, I shoot it like I'm mad at it and clean it frequently. These shotguns will function with a ridiculous amount of filth and debris inside the action, but they're more reliable and last longer if kept in top working condition. So, there you have it. My :twocents:

My current defensive shotgun is a parkerized 870 Remington with laminated wood and the OEM +2 extension. It's sweet, smooth, and dead reliable but I'd swap that sucker for a M590A1 in a heartbeat!

Top Bottom