• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've been working crazy hours and had to take vacation to get this weekend off. The border people came yesterday. I told them it was muddy and there was some standing water where some of it needed to go. He didn't really want to be talked out of it and said that they wouldn't make a mess and an inch or 2 of water wouldn't be a problem. They trashed good part of my new grass so I'll have to rent a tiller and buy more seed. I started putting some of the gray skate in this morning. I'll put the edging sealer on Monday.

e4e0443c.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's gray slate rock. I got it at menards. It costs way more than mulch but should last forever. I put mulch down years ago at my old house. It got moldy and faded quickly. We then put down red lava pebbles. My blower blew it everywhere. This stuff is heavy enough that it shouldn't blow too easily.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Looks good. More than welcome to come do mine. Don't come before noon as I like to sleep in and don't make too much noise as I'm a little jumpy and have an itchy trigger finger. I'll leave a bologna sandwich, some Lays potato chips, and a TAB outside the night before so you'll have lunch provided.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Looks great man! We had our landscaping done 2 weeks ago. We went with a more traditional metal trim and river gravel for our beds, then sodded up against it.

We had mulch at the old house...and vowed never to do that again! Rocks are the way to go...low maintenance and long lasting. Plus they look nice too. :yesway:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    All I know is that I'll never hire another city slicker contractor. Evidently the definition of mud to us country folk is much different than those in the city. My home builder acted like 2" of mud was like being in quicksand up to their eye balls. Took them a week just to get my basement footings poured.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've got about 250 bags of the 350 I bought so far down. I'll probably need another 150. I'll have to put the 225 bags of river rock down tomorrow to see how many more of those I need for my daughters play area. I'll be able to drive right up to it with the tractor, thankfully.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Should have said something. I've got nothing to do till my windows come in.

I appreciate the offer! The rest is close and will go pretty easy. I got it in bags so it'd be aside to move than in bulk. Plus I won't end up with the rock in a pile somewhere that I have to clean up. A little more expensive that way but worth it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Looks good Horny, we spent saturday afternoon spreading 8 yards of mulch under a few trees in the front yard and are wanting to do the river rock thing around the two sides of the house in the backyard. We couldn't figure out how to border it though but I think we just figured it out. We'll be giving the Martinsville crew a call in a week or two. Did they do any digging needed for the border or did you already have the site prepared for them?

Oh yeah, and 8 yards of mulch doesn't go very far, I think I'll borrow the neighbors dumptruck for the next load

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    They set the border right on top of the ground. That was fine in some places but it needs to be lower in others. I thought they were going to dig it down. Depending on what you get, it's about $5-7 per foot.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

I tried to get all my rock down in the play area but the mud hole got so deep I nearly got the tractor stuck. I had to set up the ma duece in case swamp thing came out and the napalm for the skeeters.

After that, I started to put the sealer on the edging. He left me a 5 gallon bucket and said it'd be enough to do 2 coats twice. I had to go out and buy a metal pump sprayer to put this stuff down with and it's coming out like syrup. So far, I've went about 1/5th of the way and I've used about a gallon and a half.

Top Bottom