Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So I have rust on my ZT0350.

image_zpse774a967.jpg

image_zps726c18e3.jpg

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm going to call ZT next week and talk to them about it. But, I saw this on their site:
    We guarantee our knives against manufacturing defects in material and construction and to perform as advertised when properly used and maintained. The Limited Lifetime Warranty is non-transferable and does not extend to normal signs of wear, rust, damage or breakage due to improper use, improper maintenance, accidents, loss or theft. Any product we determine to be defective will be repaired or replaced solely at our discretion.

I'm hoping my knife is still covered....

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My Blur has gotten a little rust by the thumb stud like that a couple times. CLP and a toothbrush take it right off (though I never let it get nearly as bad as yours). A light coating of Froglube every other month seems to prevent it pretty well.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    get a bronze brush and oil. it will come right off as long as it hasn't pitted. most steels even ones called stainless are really just stain - less! they will still stain and rust if not taken care off.

get some 000 steel wool or a bronze brush you use to clean guns and any type of oil. scrub it down you should be good to go. then every month or so hit it with some mineral oil or frog lube as they are both food safe.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I "detail cleaned" my Blur a couple days ago for the first time ever and had a bit of rust to clean up. I was also appalled at how nasty it was inside considering I had just cleaned it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A guest at my hotel was just showing me his ZT0350. I noticed some light rust forming around his thumbstud as well, FWIW.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm the THIRD owner of my 0350. It has 14C28N steel as the main component (Elmax as the cutting edge). I carry this knife most of the time. Not a hint of rust anywhere on mine. Extremely dirty - yes. Not rusty.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Pockets are humid. Stainless alloys are just more stain resistant than most other steels. My Spyderco Manix 2 XL is a little rusty near the pivot as well.

That location might be more susceptible to rust because the blade coating doesn't penetrate the hole through which the blade stop is inserted.

The others have the right answer. Follow the brush with some fine steel wool. Keep it lubed. If you're going to use it to cut food (or might), I'd use a vegetable oil or mineral oil, both sparingly.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, since my father's ZT0350 was rusty as well, just not as bad, and his speed safe isn't working properly anymore. I sent his and my own ZT0350 back to Kershaw for warranty.

I asked them to fix my father's speedsafe, check out the rust, and go ahead and sharpen the blades.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So I got my knife back today. It's rust free, has been cleaned and oiled, and they did a good job sharpening it.
    I'll take pics later.

ZT customer service is awesome!

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    This makes me wonder if I should send in my 0300. The finish has worn pretty thin on the scales and starting to get shiny. I guess that's what happens when you carry it everyday for 3+ years.

Top Bottom