• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For those of you looking for computer help, wrong thread.

The last couple of posts on the OODA loop, got me thinking, It's so difficult to train the soft skills, that most people just don't try. So what are you doing to keep your software sharp?

I'll open it up.

Obviously, FoF scenario work is a main staple. The biggest issue I see with this is that so many people are using these only to train their hard skills. You need good role players that give you the opportunity for both fighting solutions, as well as talking solutions.

The second thing we do is what is commonly referred to as "gaming it out." This is a practice of presenting different situations and giving yourself the opportunity to develop different plans for response. This needs to go much deeper than "if he crosses this line I'll shoot him." You need to develop plan B and C should plan A not work as expected. You also need to plan different responses from the threat.

That's just a couple, I hope everyone is getting the idea here. Let's see what others are doing.

Tinman....

Last edited:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I'll add something to the list.

You can develop mental toughness prior to needing it. Gradually pushing yourself further and further outside your comfort zone can create greater coolness under pressure.

Yes, this can come in the form of stress inoculation from scenario-based Force on Force but it might be easier for most of us to get it from pushing yourself hard in a physical activity. You can see this in ultra distance runners, rock climbers, adventure racers or other extreme athletes who just keep going long after their bodies want to quit.

You can also see the practical application of this in the selection for Tier 1 Special Operations Forces groups. What is Hell Week for the SEALs? It isn't really a physical test. It's mental. Everybody's bodies are ready to quit early on. The ones who make it are the guys who ignore that desire to quit and take "just one more step" 10,000 more times.

We have grown fat and lazy in this country. I'm only partially referring to
    the average waistline. Our minds are in terrible shape as well. Video games, TV and the Internet give us something to do that may make us feel mentally challenged, but they also lack that integration to our physical selves that solidifies the mind's control over the body. When our tummies are hungry we run to the fast food drive through. We want some new gadget we can't afford so we use our credit cards. Mental discipline is on the decline because we are used to never having to go without. Worse yet, we are teaching this lazy Mindset to our kids and the cycle spirals downward.

All of your life doesn't have to be tough and I'm certainly not advocating making bad decisions to have a tougher life. I am telling you that having a hard core physical activity that makes you VERY uncomfortable can be good for your mind if you push through and learn not to quit. It will also translate to making you a better fighter that will not quit when the time comes.

Just some of my thoughts this morning...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Obviously, FoF scenario work is a main staple. The biggest issue I see with this is that so many people are using these only to train their hard skills. You need good role players that give you the opportunity for both fighting solutions, as well as talking solutions.

That's a very good point, and in my opinion it reflects the problem with inexperienced people "leading" the force-on-force training in question. There's nothing wrong with everyone gearing-up and then seeing who survives, but in most cases it's going to devolve into who can run faster.

The real benefit to force-on-force training for self-defense comes from well-planned and competently directed/managed scenarios with everyone involved playing specific roles. The person(s) who plan and oversee the session either make or break it for all involved. It's more about assessing the situation and making decisions in the heat of the moment than it is about any kind of weapon related skills. The simulated weapon's primary role is then to allow the role player to enact their decisions (or not). In fact, I think it's of great value if only certain role players are armed and that the rest of the role players do not know who is and who is not, nor do they know what role the others are playing until the scenario is underway. That makes it a lot more like "real life."

Tinman ... I think you've had some experience with Karl Rehn and how he runs his scenarios. His format and implementation of the concept of force-on-force training is absolutely ideal in my opinion.

Some people won't have any interest in this for a variety of reasons, but they're missing out on what I think is the primary potential benefit of force-on-force training to most of us as individuals.

Another factor is that most people have no idea how stressful such scenarios can be (far more so than the "let's all get sim guns and then try to kill each other," which is not much different from most paintball games) as long as those who participate do so in good faith. Even with protective gear, it's really easy to forget on some level that you're just in a role-playing game, and the adrenaline rush and "mind fog" induced by the developing events is quite real. When done correctly, the process is exhausting, but well worth the effort.

Top Bottom