• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    I purchased a Sog Seal Pup a few years back, and it literally has only been out of its sheath ten times to put oil on in order to preserve its newness. It has never been used and came with a molle nylon sheath. I aimed to sell it awhile back, but failed to come up with a fair price. I have looked for information on pricing and it led me to some interesting information. The blade has Seki, Japan on it. Therefore, it was made while production was still in Japan (currently production is in China). Also, the blade material seems to be of AUS 8 (same as seal team elite).

Can someone help me out with pricing this knife? or any other information? I have seen people selling this knife (with seki japan on blade) used for around 80$ and some places have it new in box for 170$. It is hard to find. I have looked at gun shows and check ebay, online auctions occasionally with very few returns.

Thanks

rob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    The Japanese Sog stuff doesn't really bring a premium over the Taiwan from what I've seen. Wal-Mart sells them new for around $50.

Even tho they no longer make the seal pup in Japan? It's strictly made in Taiwan now. I also have seen the Taiwan produced seal pup in Walmart for around the 50$ mark. In my searches around the Internet, the general opinion is that the Japanese made knifes were of higher quality and are more valuable now since knives are no longer made there.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Even tho they no longer make the seal pup in Japan? It's strictly made in Taiwan now. I also have seen the Taiwan produced seal pup in Walmart for around the 50$ mark. In my searches around the Internet, the general opinion is that the Japanese made knifes were of higher quality and are more valuable now since knives are no longer made there.

I'm also of the opinion it doesn't really make a difference where it was made. If I can buy a new one for $50, I'm not going to give any more than 60% of that for a used one, even if it hasn't been "used".

I have a couple of Buck knives from the era when they moved to a new factory. Ended up with one from each place, each laser etched with the corresponding factory location (Post Falls, ID and the other place that I can't recall off the top of my head). They are each worth roughly what a used Buck knife would go for, markings and factory produced in didn't make a hill of beans difference based on what I see these sell for around.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    There is a market for these in the collectible world, but not to someone that is looking for a user. I have seen them go between $75 to as much as $120.00. The market is small, so it's just finding the right person (collector) at the right time. Bottom line is, for people that collect, almost all SOG models that were made in Seki City Japan will bring a premium over current production models. :twocents:

SOG Seal Pup Seki Japan Nice Knife Look Navy Seal Knife | eBay

SOG Early Seal Pup Knife Seki Japan RARE Survival Tactical Aus 6 Kydex Sheath | eBay

Note: In the last eBay link that I have provided the steel is listed as AUS 6, this is incorrect and obviously a mistake by the seller. The Seki models use AUS 8.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom