Some help on a Colt Frontier Six Shooter.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Hi Guys -
    Happy New Year!!!!

My Dad has had this pistol since he was a kid and we would like to know more about it. However my knowledge on this is minimal. I have mentioned it to other collectors and I get a wide range of input, none of which is helpful. So I thought that I would ask the collective to see if there is anyone out there that knows this pistol.

As you can see it is nickel plated with a lot of the nickel worn off. The Serial Number is 33 066. All parts match with the exception the cylinder cover. One thing I have found out is that is a common issue with this gun as it has a tendency to break off during use. My Dad's family had a friend that worked at the prison in Michigan City as a guard. When he purchased a new gun he gave this one to my Dad. That was sometime in the 1930's. It has never been fired since it has been in my Dad's position. The action is free and in good condition, but I would want to take it to a gunsmith before firing.

I see several different models of this gun, but do not know Colts well enough to be able to know the little things that make it common or rare. I have included a couple of pictures for your reference.

Thanks in advance for your comments.....

Mark

Last edited:

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for writing...... Attached are three pictures. One of the butt with the ring and two of the Barrel. If you can't make out the text, let me know. I thought the pictures were pretty good, but I have the gun sitting in front of me.

The caliber is the tough one. I took a pair of calipers and got an average diameter of 0.425 inches. Just guessing maybe a 44/40?

Let me know if there is anything else.....

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I also noticed where the caliber is listed on the trigger guard on the picture of the link you sent me, that there is no caliber on mine. However there is star.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    It is an 1878 DA in .44/40 . The marking on the barrel Fontier Six Shooter denotes this . Thre were 51,000 made 1878-1905.

I don't agree the the markings on the barrel denotes that it is a DA 44/40. True, it is an indicator, but I have seen 45 Cals that say the same thing. That is what is dificult in figuring out what it is.

I think that we can all agree that it is:

- 1878 DA
    - 44/40 cal

What is not clear is the stamping that states, "Colt's PT F A MFG CO". I have seen this stacted like on this gun and in a straight line. What is the difference? Is there any difference.

The stamping Colt Frontier Six Shoot appears on all these guns, from what I have seen, but the stamping is different across the yes. What does that mean if anything?

Last what is the star on the trigger guard? I have seen 45 CAL, I have seen nothing. I have never seen one with a star.....

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Here is some info.

Colt 1878 Double Action Frontier

I've seen a handful of these but never handled one. Colt's first DA. Not very common in comparison to the SAA. Most likely 44-40.

Thanks.... That got me a little closer and lead me to this.......

Item:9796922 Colt 1878 Double Action Frontier Six Shooter, .44-40 For Sale at GunAuction.com

So I am getting closer......

This would be within a year or two of the one I have, but I can't tell if the chrome is off or the bluing is gone....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom