• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Most people aren't "stupid". They just don't realize that they need to think about everything they do. People need to be trained. I think all ranges should require everyone to go through a basic common sense/safety class and if they pass they are issued a card. No one should be allowed onto a live public (or private range) without showing their card. I'm sure some will strongly disagree with this idea but in USPSA competition everyone is checked out before they're allowed to shoot. It prevents stuff like the OP saw from happening. Just letting anyone step to a line with firearms would be like going to a motorcycle dealership and taking a new bike out when they have never ridden before and don't even have a motorcycle endorsement on their license.

I've only met a few dealers that were concerned about knowing about a motorcycle endorsement while making a sale. Met more people doing private sales that are more concerned with permits or endorsements.

As for the OP, probably best off leaving since you had your kids with you but if you didn't...you could have had a teaching moment if the guy really didn't know anything about his gun. Could have reminded him of general range safety (maybe he is new to shooting) and given him some pointers so he doesn't make the same mistakes again.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    or range étiquette. While at Izaak Walton today with my sons, I witnessed the worst safety violation since I have been into guns.

I was all the way to the right so my back was to the other people there. There was one man shooting a few spots behind, and another couple just pulled up. I had just finished a mag and was getting ready to reload when I hear, "Woh, woh, woh!!" from the guy directly behind me. I turn around and the guy from the couple just walked right out onto the range to place his target without letting anyone know! :xmad:

The guy behind me yells at him to let us know! He kinda gives a, my bad wave, and proceeds. I keep an eye for a bit and see him fumbling around with his gun, obviously not sure how it works. I looked at my boys and packed up and left!

Good thing we were about done too! Some people have no common sense at all. And a complete lack of regard for the :rules:
    Thats what sucks about firearm ownership. There is always one moron, out of 100, that does stupid crap and makes us all look bad.:n00b:

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    When my boys and I got home, I did think about if I should have approached and asked if he needed help. I am by no means an expert, but I am still pretty handy.

I figured since we were almost done, and I had the boys it was best to just head out.

I haven't felt unsafe there yet, but that just made me appreciate how "it only takes one" to ruin it. Plus, I live too close to not go, Roush is just so far away!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    That is one reason I haven't been to a public range. Not because I don't feel safe but because having never been to one I feel if my being a "range virgin" led me to do something wrong, the range experts would just get mad, scream, curse and leave instead of teaching me on what I did wrong. People learn by their mistakes and I will always have great respect for the person that takes the time to help someone to learn instead the person that expects someone else to do it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That is one reason I haven't been to a public range. Not because I don't feel safe but because having never been to one I feel if my being a "range virgin" led me to do something wrong, the range experts would just get mad, scream, curse and leave instead of teaching me on what I did wrong. People learn by their mistakes and I will always have great respect for the person that takes the time to help someone to learn instead the person that expects someone else to do it.

I can understand that and many people are generally good about giving someone a pointer or 2. However, I too have left a range when I have seen something that goes beyond ignorance (not knowing) into just stupidity.

I don't blame the OP at all for packing up, especially since he had children with him.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Contact local radio stations. Can't cost too much :)

There are a lot of people buying guns for the first time and unfortunately, some are totally clueless regarding safety. While I am generally forgiving of inexperience, an act like that is hard to look past. I've seen the same thing down at Atterbury and all I can think is that there are some folks that get so far outside of their comfort zones, their mind stops working properly.

What I don't understand is the lack of research some folks do. When I am in a situation that is new to me, I will usually take my time getting started so I can see how things work. Or, if it's not obvious, I'll ask before assuming. The net is full of info that can be helpful if you are starting a new hobby.

The thing that I get from these situations is how badly the anti-gun people have impacted our culture. For someone that has never owned a gun, never been to a range, doesn't know anyone who owns a gun but wants to be able to defend his family, they have no basic info to work from. Most of us were brought up around guns and someone taught us how to be safe. We are now doing that with our kids and with friends that are new to shooting. But, for some, they just go buy a gun and try to wing it because the anti gun crowd has prevented any useful information from being publically broadcast. When was the last time anyone saw a public service message concerning the 4 rules of gun safety.

I am happy that we have ever larger numbers of people getting into shooting, but really wish there was some sort of public service messages broadcast to give a basic level of info to those that are not smart enough to seek it out themselves.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    No excuses. Common sense applies to always point down range, hot range and cold range. Simple concepts. It's usually not stupidity, its ignorance and there is no excuse for it.

If you have never been to a range and you just gotta shoot that new shiny gun, then try watching the people who have been there before and see what the range etiquette is. Pretty simple, really.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I belong to two clubs in the Evansville area. One has a nice, semi-dedicated rifle range and 4 pistol or pistol/rifle ranges, each protected with high berms on the sides. You can usually find an empty range unless it's a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. The other club has just a single, large range with a 100 yd backstop. I've been to the second several times where I've asked for time to service a target. I'll look back and somebody is handling his rifle or pistol. That creeps me out. I usually leave as soon as I can get my target and get out. I'm not going to teach someone who ought to know better than to handle a weapon when someone else is down range. It's too easy to accidently chamber a round.

rotorwash720

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    If someone is doing an unsafe act at the range, help them out and say something. If that doesn't work let one of the RO's know. We all have the right to shoot at a safe range and Atterbury is one of the safest in the state. If you see an unsafe act and do nothing about it then YOU just set a new standard. It's just that simple! It should be our responsibility to pass on good firearm safety. If not, then what are we teaching our children???

Last edited:

rotorwash720

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    If someone is doing an unsafe act at the range, I speak out to the person or say something to one of the RO's? We all have the right to shoot at a safe range and Atterbury is one of the safest in the state. If you see an unsafe act and do nothing about it then YOU just set a new stardard. It's up to EVERYONE of us to pass down good firearm safety. If not, then what are we teaching our children???

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm glad everything worked out ok. It could have been a teaching moment.

I wonder how well a guy with that level of disregard for safety would have accepted constructive input from a stranger.
    I hope he has friends or family that are willing to help him before something goes really wrong.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's up to EVERYONE of us to pass down good firearm safety. If not, then what are we teaching our children???

I'm teaching my kids that we are leaving before this guy shoots himself/me/my kids. You wanna risk it with you're children, you have that right.

While you can't always fix stupid there are times however when it does work itself out. At the firehouse we call it "job security".

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    About a month ago I was at the Ft. Wayne IWL range. The line was called safe and I went to put up some targets at the 15yd target. I turn around to come back and a guy is handling a rifle, I stop in my tracks just as my eyes meet his. I explained the rules to him as I stood about 10 yards away. He was scolded in front of his father, wife, and child...I felt a little bad about that, but the feeling went away quickly. The look on his face told me that I got the point across.

rotorwash720

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Really enjoy the Atterbury range and staff. They try very hard to keep it clean and safe because it only takes a second for things to go from bad to worse.

When you see something wrong and do nothing about it then you just set a new standard.

Top Bottom