• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well after years of shooing, I learned a very valuable lesson today shooting a Mossberg 930spx.

That was to not shoot 3 inch Magnum bird shot on a shoulder that has had reconstructive surgery to it!:D

I grabbed what I thought was a box of 2 3/4 3 shot, but was instead a box of 3 inch magnum 3 shot.

I pulled the mossy up and planted the stock tight against my shoulder, flipped the safety off and let it rip. But what happened felt like I had just laided it lightly against the shoulder and fired. So I thought to myself, did I really no pull that up tight???? So I did it again, and had again same feeling. So I put the safety on and turned around and gave my buddy ComputerGeek this WTF :n00b: look. I told him man my 500 did
    nt kick like this, what the heck.

So he walks over, pulls it up and let it rip, he put it on safe and turns to me and gives me a WTF :n00b: look. Walks over and grabs an empty hull off the ground and tosses it to me.

Man I had one of those "Wow I could have had a V8" looks on my face and said "Geez, no wonder" and started laughing my rear off.

So we emptied it out and reloaded with 2 3/4 low brass bird shot and I grunted out 8 rounds.

But boy I'm telling you something, it's been 4 hours and my shoulder is still killing me. April 15th will be 2 years since my shoulder surgery and for the most part I've not had any problems, but I know this, I won't be shooting any magnum loads out of a 12 gauge anymore.:laugh:

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hopefully you didn't do any damage to your shoulder.
    But I'm sure we can all say been there, done that...
    Let us know how you like the 930spx when you feel a bit better.

Stay safe

No damage, just pain! The SPX is not mine, it's my buddies, I only put 8 rounds through it, but over all I like how it handled, just wish this was the pistol grip version.

I plan on buying one, but need to get funds to do that, and I have some expenses coming up that might put that on hold for a while.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I received a brand new Weatherby SA-08 in 12ga. this last year as a gift. I was surprised at the felt recoil from it. Being a semi-auto I would have thought it would have been a softer shooter.

It's a far cry from my New England 12ga. single shot, but still...

Guess my shoulders aren't getting any younger.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    What sucks for me is I did the trifecta, torn sub-scapula tendon, frayed 2 of the 3 rotator cuff tendons that had to be shaved and tore the glenoid labrum in both the front and back.

Darn butt stock sits right on top of the sub-scapula tendon where it was torn, so I have to deal with the scar tissue there, and the outside of the stock puts direct pressure on the glenoid labrum when fired. Heck I bet it moved everything around when I cut loose with that 3 inch mag.:laugh:

Bad thing is not only my age (50), but we have a couple of guys at work that are younger than me (32-35) that have had similar injuries (but not as bad) as mine and they was still feeling pain almost 5 years because of all the scare tissue.

WOW, only got 3 more years of that to deal with hopefully.:n00b:

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Good thing it wasn't a slug. Some buddies of mine once put a magnum slug at the end of a mag tube full of target loads as a prank. Scared the crap out of me! lol

Top Bottom