• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Got a letter from my son at Ft. Jackson SC. He qualified sharpshooter, one hit short of expert. He hit 35 of 40 pop-up targets at ranges from 50m to 300m from various firing positions. He said the course was a lot of fun to shoot and he thought he could score expert if he was able to do it again. Couldn't be more proud of him. Four more weeks until Graduation,....can't wait to see him.

Dirty Steve

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Tell him next time to ditch the sandbags and dig the mag into the dirt. I never qualified expert until I did. I got expert every single time since. I even hit every single target they gave me rounds for one time. I got shorted 2 rounds on my first mag but I was 38 for 38. Should have had a 40.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That's great news. Congrats to you both. I wish there was a military style range for public use around here. Pop up targets would be a lot of fun.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    He said they fired from various positions and fired prone, kneeling and standing. He was pleased with his score as was I.

Dirty Steve

Maybe it's changed since I've been in. We shot 20 rounds from a foxhole with sandbags and the other 20 from prone unsupported. I dug the mag into the dirt for both positions.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    He reports back to Indiana....because he starts college at Indiana State about 7 days after he gets back from BCT. He left for BCT 3 days after high school graduation. He is in ROTC at ISU. He joined the Guard so he could go to BCT. ROTC cadets will never actually go to BCT if they stick with the program and are commissioned a 2nd LT. after graduation from college. He decided that was B.S. and he would be a better leader and more respected if he went to BCT. The cadre in his Guard unit though he was nuts because he could take the easy way out, but said they really respected what he was doing. He is doing a split-option and will go to AIT next summer. His sophomore summer he will go to either airborne or air assault, if his grades are good enough and he gets recommended through ROTC. His junior summer will be spent in LDAC at Ft. Lewis WA. He will go to Ft. Benning for officer training after he graduates, be commissioned a 2nd LT and then select his final MOS. He wants 11B or 19D, wants to be Ranger qualified and wants to make it a career. We told him fine with us, but you are going to college and WILL go in as an officer. We couldn't be more proud of him.

Top Bottom