• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TriggerWork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I know you guys all know this I just didn't know what else to do with my rant.

First of all let me say I cannot imagine the pain, sorrow, and grief that the community is going through. But do to the national outcry I had to vent.

Okay, so let me get this straight. By putting more laws in place, they will keep criminal/mentally ill/evil people from committing horrific acts of terror? So what will be different with the new laws that will make it different than the (at minimum) other 37 laws that were broken in committing this horrific act? Right, you want to ban the tool used. Okay, what about the next tool, and then the next tool, and then the next tool, and then the next tool. Get my point? If somebody has enough commitment, the tool doesn’t matter. There will always be a tool to be used if someone’s purpose is to cause mass harm and gain national attention. This tragedy could have been much worse if he would have chosen to steal items from any crop farm in the country.

The only response to deadly force is deadly force. The survival percentage of begging for mercy is only as good as the amount of commitment the criminal has in completing his act of terror. The survival percentage of hiding & hoping is only as good as the response time of the first responders. When seconds count, first responders are only minutes away.There have been several lawsuits filed over the years against law enforcement for response times that were not fast enough to keep harm from occurring. Our legal system has stated that it is not the duty of law enforcement to protect citizens at all times. The individual is not absolved of his or her own duty of self-protection.

The banning of “scary” looking modern sporting rifles will do nothing. Setting a limit on round count in a magazine (by the way stop calling it a clip) will only tell the criminals how to ensure their victory.What are you going to do with the millions of magazines (over 10 rounds) that have already been purchased? These are not military weapons, military style weapons, or battlefield weapons. Military weapons are select-fire weapons that have full automatic or burst functionality. There are plenty of other “types”of weapons that don’t look “scary” that could be used in the same manner as modern sporting rifles. All this talk about all the damage these rifles can do is wrong. I have never seen a rifle run around attacking people committing massmurder. I however, have seen what mentally ill people in environments were nobody can fight back with any effective tool can do.

Everybody needs to stop focusing on the tool (an inanimate object) and start a more effective conversation about the best way to protect our children. So what is the common factor? Schools and private property that create “gun free” zones, which are just places that tell criminals/mentallyill/evil people there is more than likely nobody here that can fight back on an even level. Being a father I am responsible for providing what is needed, teaching my children, and protecting my family. Why would I not expect my school system to do the same for my children when they are in their care for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week? By placing armed security in schools, you at least have a chance to change the odds. Which is better a shootout in the school between armed security and the “bad guy” or no armed security and our most recent tragedy? After 9/11 we secured the cockpit doors, armed the flight staff, and put random armed air marshals in place on flights. What, our business travelers are more important than our schools? Then everybody’s response is funding. Really, funding, oh I don’t know, maybe take it out of the Obama vacation fund. Or perhaps you might be able to find just enough in the $60 billion we give out in foreign aid.

I wish I could live in a fantasyland where there are no criminal/mentally ill/evil people wishing to steal, harm, or murder. Even Sen. Dianne Feinstein and Sen. Donne Trotter know that doesn’t exist, and they carry there personal handgun on their person.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom