• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Looking to source a direct copy of the US Army DMR upper.

Other than building one up from a White Oak barrel + DD lite 12" rail, does anyone have any idea if a reputable company makes one?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    dom you might check with Grant at G&R Tactical.

What is a DMR? I've probably read some threads about them but I get confused when it comes to all of these specialized versions.

I have an all BCM 20" rifle with a Goverment profile 1:7 barrel.
    It has Knights Armament RAS M5 handguards, a BCM Mod 4 charging handle and a Magpul trigger guard.
    I mounted an NSN 31RCOM4 Acog on a Larue QD mount, and a Matech BUIS.
    I removed the front sling swivel and installed a side-mount front swivel, then added a Vickers BFG A2 buttstock adaptor and a Vickers BFG VCAS padded sling.
    I have a Vltor A5 buttstock kit to put on when I have time, and a Ergo grip that I might put on too.
    Is this a DMR rifle?

I might've seen you at The Gun Den Saturday. Are you the one with the buzzed off hair? I was tired and rundown that day and not very talkative at all. That's a nice little gun shop and I intend to be back

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    To answer 03A3.....currently...the USMC DMR rifle is a M39 EMR, while the Army uses the more publicized M14 EBR. Wiki has lots of info on both, but the short answer is its an issued rifle that can effectively engage (i.e. still hit like freight train) past 500 meters, so the definition is pretty flexible.
    That said, the prior USMC DMR was just a 20" .223, which makes the definition something more like...."long than the common grunt's weapon". :)

To to OP, no idea....

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Thank you IR
    I'm vaguely familiar with the M14 EBR as I'm into the M14 platform.
    The M39 EMR is a new one to me. I will get on the Wiki when I can.
    I will try to find the older USMC version too. Something tells me it was/is an Hbar, but I may be wrong.

In my internet journeys I will see if I can find dom an upper.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    dom you might check with Grant at G&R Tactical.

What is a DMR? I've probably read some threads about them but I get confused when it comes to all of these specialized versions.

I have an all BCM 20" rifle with a Goverment profile 1:7 barrel.
    It has Knights Armament RAS M5 handguards, a BCM Mod 4 charging handle and a Magpul trigger guard.
    I mounted an NSN 31RCOM4 Acog on a Larue QD mount, and a Matech BUIS.
    I removed the front sling swivel and installed a side-mount front swivel, then added a Vickers BFG A2 buttstock adaptor and a Vickers BFG VCAS padded sling.
    I have a Vltor A5 buttstock kit to put on when I have time, and a Ergo grip that I might put on too.
    Is this a DMR rifle?

I might've seen you at The Gun Den Saturday. Are you the one with the buzzed off hair? I was tired and rundown that day and not very talkative at all. That's a nice little gun shop and I intend to be back

I sure am. :) Nice to meet ya.

My understanding, and what I am trying to find an upper for is related to these specs.

Specifications

Upper and lower receivers: The rifles were produced by the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) at Fort Benning, Georgia using either new semi-automatic ArmaLite lower receivers or existing Army M16A2 or A4 lower receivers previously supplied by either Colt or Fabrique Nationale de Herstal. All rifles were equipped with a fixed A2 stock and a Knight's Armament Company 2-stage match grade trigger capable of only semi-automatic fire. The upper receivers were flat-top style, but unlike the SAM-R and SPR, they did not have extended feed ramps.

Barrel: The 1:7 twist, 20-inch (510 mm) barrel from the M16A2 and A4 were replaced with a stainless steel Douglas Barrels 1:8 twist, 20-inch barrel, with 12 flutes cut into the barrel to reduce weight. The front sight block was installed with 4 set screws instead of two taper pins. The SDM-R retained the A2-style flash hider.

Sights and optics: The issued optic was a 4x32 Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight (ACOG) (models TA31F, TA31RCO, TA01, TA01B, or TA01NSN). A Matech Industries 600-meter backup iron sight was also used.

Handguard: Daniel Defense M4 Rail 12.0 handguard, with an octagonal aluminum collar locking it to the upper receiver. The handguard provides a free-floating Picatinny rail forend.

Bipod: A Harris S-L bipod attached to an ARMS #17 throw-lever rail mount was mounted to the underside of the handguard. Since the handguard was free-floating, it did not come into contact with the barrel, and any pressure from the bipod on the handguard did not deflect the barrel.

United States Army Squad Designated Marksman Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess I should have said S-DMR.

I basically wanted a heavyweight 20" upper that is still legal for NRA / CMP National Match style shooting, which apparently the S-DMR is.

So long as it has a DD Lite or M4 style rail.

So I could fulfill my "need" for a long range AR15 style gun, with a flat top upper, ACOG, rail, and still be able to take it out to a CMP match every once in a while. :)

I will check G&R, I buy LPKs there. thanks for the tip.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    You want Monty LeClair at www.centurionarms.com

Larry Vickers and the Centurion Arms SPR - M4Carbine.net Forums

FWIW - I know you specifically mentioned DMR, but you might want to look at his SPR. Go to his website and he has a legit DMR as well as the Mk 12. As Larry Vickers says in the thread above, Monty builds the rifle exactly as issued to our armed forces.

Edit: Grant at G & R is a solid guy, thumbs up on him. I'd recommend calling and talking to him before ordering a bunch of parts for a build, he can steer through some things if you want to go that route.

Top Bottom