• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    So a few days ago I decided to sous-b-q bone-in Venison shoulder.

I went ahead and got my set up going at 134! Seeing that I wanted the meat medium rare, yet to full pasteurize, the plan was a 72 cook hours!

I went ahead and sealed the shoulder, naked... YES, nothing on the meat or in the bag. After 74 hours, I dried, seasoned the meat, and threw on my Kamado at 200 with some cherry wood for about 20 mins. Once 20 mins passed, I cranked it up to about 600 for 10 more mins to finish the outside crust, and pulled it! I wrapped it and let it sit for a about 30 mins I finished up veggies and poured some drinks for friends.

I am not a big "plated" pic guy... so here is the whole shoulder when I pulled it, and what was left after we all ate:) The majority of peeps I had over were all game hunters who regularly eat venison. Every one of them said it was hands down the most tender, juiciest, flavorful venison they had ever had. They were literally in shock at how tender this was... able to cut with a butter knife!

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    74hrs is a looooooong time to be in the bacteria danger zone.

i think this is incorrect... at what temp does bacteria start dying off? Most of the time why we get higher done temps are simply because at lower temps it takes much longer to kill off said bacteria.

Ill not say I have the number for pastuazatiln off the top of my head, but certainly at 70 plus hours thatÂ’s happened.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    i think this is incorrect... at what temp does bacteria start dying off? Most of the time why we get higher done temps are simply because at lower temps it takes much longer to kill off said bacteria.

Ill not say I have the number for pastuazatiln off the top of my head, but certainly at 70 plus hours thatÂ’s happened.

Generally speaking, between 40 and 140 degrees F. is the "danger zone" for bacterial growth. That being said, that looks and sounds delicious! :)

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Generally speaking, between 40 and 140 degrees F. is the "danger zone" for bacterial growth. That being said, that looks and sounds delicious! :)

74hrs is a looooooong time to be in the bacteria danger zone.

Appologies for for such a long reply, but I think it’s important to leave here...

Most were taught that there’s a “danger zone” between 40°F and 140°F (4.4°C and 60°C). These temperatures aren’t quite right: it’s well known that food pathogens can only multiply between 29.7°F (-1.3°C) and 126.1°F (52.3°C), while spoilage bacteria begin multiplying at 23°F (-5°C) (Snyder, 2006; Juneja et al., 1999; FDA, 2011). Moreover, contrary to popular belief, food pathogens and toxins cannot be seen, smelt, or tasted.

So why were you taught that food pathogens stop multiplying at 40°F (4.4°C) and grow all the way up to 140°F (60°C)? Because it takes days for food pathogens to grow to a dangerous level at 40°F (4.4°C) (FDA, 2011) and it takes many hours for food to be made safe at just above 126.1°F (52.3°C) – compared with only about 12 minutes (for meat) and 35 minutes (for poultry) to be made safe when the coldest part is 140°F (60°C) (FSIS, 2005; FDA, 2009, 3-401.11.B.2). Indeed, the food pathogens that can multiply down to 29.7°F (-1.3°C) – Yersinia enterocolitica and Listeria monocytogenes – can only multiply about once per day at 40°F (4.4°C) and so you can hold food below 40°F (4.4°C) for five to seven days (FDA, 2011). At 126.1°F (52.3°C), when the common food pathogen Clostridium perfringens stops multiplying, it takes a very long time to reduce the food pathogens we’re worried about – namely the Salmonella species, Listeria monocytogenes, and the pathogenic strains of Escherichia coli – to a safe level; in a 130°F (54.4°C) water bath (the lowest temperature I recommend for cooking sous vide) it’ll take you about 2½ hours to reduce E. coli to a safe level in a 1 inch (25 mm) thick hamburger patty and holding a hamburger patty at 130°F (54.4°C) for 2½ hours is inconceivable with traditional cooking methods – which is why the “danger zone” conceived for traditional cooking methods doesn’t start at 130°F (54.4°C). [Note that Johnson et al. (1983) reported that Bacillus cereus could multiply at 131°F/55°C, but no one else has demonstrated growth at this temperature and so Clostridium perfringens is used instead.]

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Hmm... I'd never thought about using my incubator for cooking functions; just never heard of "cooking" anything at such a low temperature range. It would, however, maintain 130±<1°F. I'd just need to clean it carefully of the bacteria that are sometimes there intentionally. Is it true that 6 months hard frozen will kill most of the bacteria?

Looks like a wonderful piece of meat, and it was obviously popular :)

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Hmm... I'd never thought about using my incubator for cooking functions; just never heard of "cooking" anything at such a low temperature range. It would, however, maintain 130±<1°F. I'd just need to clean it carefully of the bacteria that are sometimes there intentionally. Is it true that 6 months hard frozen will kill most of the bacteria?

Looks like a wonderful piece of meat, and it was obviously popular :)

I do agree in cooking above 130!

As a side note, although you may have not heard of sous vide cooking... I am certain you have eating food thats been prepared sous vide. Most higher end restaurants have used this form of cooking in some way.

Its just recently that people this has become more mainstream... meaning used in the home!

For anyone interested in this kind of cooking, the science behind it, etc... I would highly recommend taking a trip over to Doug Baldwin guide to cooking. Because pasteurization etc is so crucial to not getting sick, its extremely important to understand how it works and the actual times and temps!

A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking

I may start a new thread called "sous vide cooking" with links and a place for members to post pics of food they have made.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm curious about how all the silver skin in the front shoulder works out as you are cooking the whole thing. This area has always been more of a problem for me when home butchering so most of the front shoulder goes to burger after a lot of cutting.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I'm curious about how all the silver skin in the front shoulder works out as you are cooking the whole thing. This area has always been more of a problem for me when home butchering so most of the front shoulder goes to burger after a lot of cutting.

To be honest, most of the venison I get is given to me by friends. I did not see a ton of "silver skin" on the surface of this one. If you are talking about the lining under the surface... Thats the great thing about this way of cooking... the slow process and break down of proteins is what makes this so dang good! I was being literal in my description of being able to cut this with a butter knife!

I will gladly admit though, I do also enjoy using venison shoulder ground for burgers or make to make pepperoncini in the slow cooker. Although that stuff is good, this is a fantastic way to cook it as well!

Top Bottom