• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The wife and I just got back from our last (3rd) prairie dog trip of 2011. We shot for 2 days on private property north of the Rosebud this trip. We shot from about 9 AM until just before sunset and killed a slew of p dogs Monday. We don't usually "keep score" but the wife killed 16 in her first 20 shots with her CZ .204, all around 200-250 yards. We shot the same 2 dog towns Tuesday and, naturally, the shooting wasn't quite as good but we shot for 3 hours in the morning, took a lunch break, then shot fairly steadily until about 7:30. When the shadows fall across the dog town, you're done.

I made the mistake of letting my wife shoot my Savage .17 Fireball. Net result: I have to come up with one for her before next year. I think I'll beconverting a 10FP .308 to the little Fireball round. Anything inside 300 yards is dead-dog-walking once you've doped the wind! :D

Pheasant were everywhere and a bunch of them casually strolled through the dog town while we were shooting Tuesday afternoon. I think they know they are out of season. We also had the pleasure of watching what were either very large hawks or small eagles attending the buffet we arranged for them. At one point, there were 10 of them eating our kills. Whatever they were, when they showed up, the prairie dogs went down and we just had to wait until they left.

Bow season had just started and we shared the lodge with 4 deer hunters from Kansas City. One stuck a nice buck Sunday evening but the other three were still hunting when we left Wednesday AM.

Another "season" is over and our first shoot for 2012 is in the books. Life is good..........unless you're a prairie dog! ;)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    They got 'em.

Nicely done! I want to go to SD for antelope and Pdogs.

SD has 'em both in abundance. The deer hunters all intended to get an antelope as soon as they harvested their deer. We saw antelope every day either in the dog towns or on the way. Not as numerous as pheasants but plenty of them. If I remember correctly, once you've taken a deer and/or antelope your state license is good for prairie dogs, also.

Shooting on the reservations is a whole different thing.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've always wanted to go do that, but I never have. How hard was it to find a place to hunt/shoot? I'd love to go there on an antelope hunt and pop one of those. Anymore the idea of just sitting still and hoping some deer will walk by just isn't as appealing as it used to be. I'd rather be up and moving around.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Altough it's been a few years, I use to go to my Grandpa's farm in North Dakota to go prairie dog hunting. I learned how to shoot in the back of his old Caprice station wagon that we used to roll around the farm. He use to give me a nickle a tail for everyone I shot !! Great times, great memories :)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Prairie dog pursuit

I've been shooting p dogs for several years. Over that time, we've shot in Colorado, Wyoming, Oklahoma, and South Dakota. The first time I went,we used a hunting lodge in South Dakota which has since gone out of business. So.......... I spent a lot of time searching the 'net for "prairie dog hunting". I've seen lodges/outfitters who charge as much as $800 per person/per day. I passed on that. For the last 3 years, we've shot with Shur Shot Lodge near Vivian, SD. Shur Shot Lodge: Vivian, South Dakota Huting Lodge

They charge $225 per person/per day for prairie dogging. Some people think that's high but it does include lodging, 3 meals a day, and the required tribal guide if you shoot on the Rosebud reservation. They also do deer and antelope hunts. It's a family operation and they make you feel at home. My 12 yr old granddaughter stayed with their daughter for several days after our July shoot. Guess you could say we're comfortable with them. We've already booked a shoot for June, 2012.

Another source of info is the Varmint Hunters Assoc. headquartered in Ft. Pierre, SD.

Top Bottom