• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Let's pretend that I'm in the market for an AK-pattern rifle...

Also let's pretend that I've got a decent friend at work, an FFL holder, who let me peruse the "dealer pricing" catalog from SOG...

Continuing the hypothetical, let us presume that SOG's catalog had some attractive prices on some things.

Namely, Bulgarian AK in 5.45x39 (Believe polymer furniture), Polish Tantal in 5.45x39, and VZ-58 in 7.62x39. Roughly same pricing for these...

Do VZ-58 rifles accept standard AK mags???? Are 5.45x39 mags difficult to find and/or expensive??!?!

Any opinions? Should SOG be contacted to inquire who the builder of said rifles is?

I NEED a centerfire rifle... And the pricing of these + ammo prices makes for a rather attractive deal....

-J-

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I have not clue:D

What I do know is I was able to pick up an cheap AK style rifle, several mags, Lots of Ammo, Case and some other goodies for the price I could have gotten a bare-bones AR.

I will own an AR someday, but I love shooting the AK. If the VZ-58 takes regular AK mags I'd give it a shot.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    VZ takes its only proprietary mags that will not work in an AK.

5.45 mags are easy to find, and run around $10 each. Check aimsurplus.com

My only question is who makes these rifles. That would make me lean one way or another right there.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    VZ takes its only proprietary mags that will not work in an AK.

5.45 mags are easy to find, and run around $10 each. Check aimsurplus.com

My only question is who makes these rifles. That would make me lean one way or another right there.

Thanks...

Thanks...

And that's my big Q, too. If they're Century builds, which I HIGHLY suspect they are... Then I'm not so sure. :n00b:

Wonder how much VZ mags run?

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I have owned both 5.45 models. The VZ is very nice and if you want to go 7.62x39 is one of the best options IMHO. Mags for it will cost more and be harder to find, so you would have to work hard and throw down the cash now to get sufficient mags for your needs.

I prefer 5.45 as it is a lighter round, it shoots flatter, it has a lighter recoil impulse, the mags are universally good and affordable. Many people have keyholing on a variety of 5.45 platforms when not using milsurp ammo. This caliber seems to be very touchy in terms of twist rate of the barrel much like 5.56x45. Milsurp ammo seems to work well in most of them. Aftermarket ammo seems to give keyholing issues on some and not on others. I bought large amounts of milsurp, so it's not an issue for me. None of my 5.45 rifles keyhole at all with my milsurp ammo. Both of the 5.45s mentioned will not have a chromed barrel, which simply means you need to observe corrosive ammo procedures rigorously. If you can buy a model with a chromed barrel, it is highly recommended. I think Lancaster Arms offers chromed barrels. I'm not sure about other manufacturers. I prefer the Tantal to my Bulgarian folder. I find that the triangle folding to the left is more of a hassle in terms of slings than the wire folder to the right. It also has a clumsier release. They are both good rifles. If you can buy in person and pick a rifle with a straight FSB, I would also highly recommend that. You can drive to Versailles, KY and purchase from Centerfire Systems in order to get a good price and hand selection. A Century build is fine as long as you get to inspect it before paying. They make good rifles and bad ones.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Let's pretend that I'm in the market for an AK-pattern rifle...

Also let's pretend that I've got a decent friend at work, an FFL holder, who let me peruse the "dealer pricing" catalog from SOG...

Continuing the hypothetical, let us presume that SOG's catalog had some attractive prices on some things.

Namely, Bulgarian AK in 5.45x39 (Believe polymer furniture), Polish Tantal in 5.45x39, and VZ-58 in 7.62x39. Roughly same pricing for these...

Do VZ-58 rifles accept standard AK mags???? Are 5.45x39 mags difficult to find and/or expensive??!?!

Any opinions? Should SOG be contacted to inquire who the builder of said rifles is?

I NEED a centerfire rifle... And the pricing of these + ammo prices makes for a rather attractive deal....

-J-

First thing I would do would be to call them and see if they have any. A lot of the the stuff in their catalogs, they don't have.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Aside from the similar appearance, the only thing the VZ-58 has in common with the AK-47 is the 7.62 x 39 cartridge. Internally they are not the same and they aren't set up to use most AK aftermarket items. They do have a thumb safety on the left side of the rifle as well as the more familiar lever on the right side.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Aside from the similar appearance, the only thing the VZ-58 has in common with the AK-47 is the 7.62 x 39 cartridge. Internally they are not the same and they aren't set up to use most AK aftermarket items. They do have a thumb safety on the left side of the rifle as well as the more familiar lever on the right side.

Yes, I was aware that they're not at all an AK rifle... More of "Generally AK-like"... Not even nearly close enough to even be an AK-pattern like a -74 or -104, etc etc.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I'm pretty sure SOG's Vz58's will be Century, based on the price they have them at. The good ones are in the $800-and-up range (new). I got REAL lucky and found one on consignment at an Indy1500 for $600. The booth right next door had a used one at $800. :-/ Both were D-Technik receivers.

These guys have the D-Tek's brand new but oh my God is the price nasty. More importantly - they have the parts and accessories you would want. Magazines, magazine pouches, slings... all at much much cheaper prices than anywhere else I looked.

Czechpoint - distributor of Sa vz. 58 rifles and Sa vz. 61 Scorpions

I'll tell ya this much... I absolutely love mine. Fits me like a glove and extraordinarily well behaved.

Top Bottom