• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim Gray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    What: Southnarc ECQC (Extreme Close Quarters Concepts- managing unknown encounters and fighting with a gun/knife in play at grappling distances)
    Who: Craig Douglas (Southnarc) and A. Inst's Paul and Larry.
    When: March 25,26 and 27
    Where: Nappanee (IN) Conservation Club (Thanks Tinman,Denny, and your whole crew.)

I heard about this course, via a friend and a co-worker, and came to the conclusion that I have not tested myself in this particular niche of martial skill, that of having a weapon in play at grappling distances, and decided, based on the responses to my initial inquiries, to attend.

Preliminarily:

An e-mail to the sight sponsor (Tinman on INGO) yielded excellent directions and payment was remitted in the form of a $200.00 deposit (by check) with another $200.00-cash, on arrival(+$25.00 range fee-cash to sight sponsor, not to Southnarc), for a total of $425.00. The second $200.00, in cash, was for my convenience (everyone else seemed to pay by check with no issues). Craig (Southnarc) advised that the Swedish Army students ("Fred", "Eric?", and "John") paid by PO/Invoice and that another student paid by Visa, so the payment options were all there.

Jim Gray's family is in the midst of austerity measures and several things conspired to prevent the taking of this class. Work, finances, injury, sickness, all were in the fray. Through birthday money, OT, cashing in some silver, and saving my pennies, I found a way to attend.

My plan for the year, training-wise, is Southnarc ECQC, Tactical Response Alumni , and Tactical Response Fighting Pistol. I wanted to attend ECQC because of the blade deployment componant and all that I have read about PMA not addressing firearms/blade deployment issues either entangled or within grappling distances. Fighting Pistol has been on my list since 2008.

We arrived Friday afternoon and got set up in a hotel in Goshen (Super Hate, Stupor 8, 8 Ball, or whatever your pet name for the nations premier economy lodging is). Grubbed (typical family style meal at the Lux Restaurant) around 1630 and then located the training area.

The Napannee Conservation Club, Napannee Indiana.

The range was large, well kept, and clean, though property improvements were in-progress. The "class room" was the club meeting hall. Full utilities were in evidence, though the dunny in the guys head was about the size of a coffee cup :(. Tinman and Denny, club members, were very very helpful (both alums of this course) and very gracious.

Friday Evening.

The student base was comprised of 18 people, ranging from business owners to a lowly cops, and included professionals such as an Attorny and a Surgeon. The international flavor was added by three Swedish Army Officers (Their Director of Small Arms Training, their Director of Combatives, and a former Director of Combatives).

Intros and greetings from Craig Douglass (Southnarc) and his AI's, Larry (IL trooper)and Paul (IL trooper and detective), both of the AI's were SWAT cops and perpetual students (evident by their level of professionalism and depth of their knowledge of the subject matter).
    The evening started with a brief lecture on commonalities associated with criminal attacks, such as criminal target selection criteria and criminal engagement tactics. We proceeded to drill unknown encounters, using the AI's as role players. The scenarios were realistic, relevant, and based on the role players own experiences.

I cannot begin to catalog the TTPs. Everything was either tactile or visual, but suffice it to say that the primary encounter and evaluation techniques were simple, repeatable under stress, and easy to practice.

Much of the remainder of the evening was spent running the drills with multiple partners (many wore the "Mark of The Mountain Goat"). The physical technique invloved gross movement and relied on technique while using mostly core and leg strength. The Swedes looked like they were having a ball, but took things very seriously.

Saturday Morning

Live fire range at contact to 3 paces.
    The proximity to the target was relvelatory to to some of the participants, but most just took the muzzle blast in stride and completed the drills (oh, did I mention that is was about 25 deg F...freaking March in Indiana). Extra care was taken regarding draw stroke, presentation, off hand positioning, and body mechanics (much of the draw stroke demonstration reminded me of prior presentations, both at Tactical Response, and from GSGI). Again, as on Friday night, squaring your hips to the threat and remaining nimble (on your toes, not heels) were constantly re-inforced. Cover garments and gloves were not "cheated", by most, and most everyone "fought as they came".

A lunch of cold cuts, cheese, fixin's, and chips was served by the course sponsor, Tinman. Due to the relative remoteness of the range, this saved enormous amounts of travel time and gave us at least an additional hour of training. Kind of like what James does with Cody's during HRCC on the first couple of days (kind of keeps you dialed in during the meal break).

After lunch (note: though there was plenty, I wouldn't get too crazy about stuffing yourself) we went hands on, with FIST protective equipment, using fellow students as roll players. The grappling made the "attempts" to reach your weapon of choice (blue guns, red guns, gray guns, TDI trainers, karambit trainers, folding trainers...etc) something like trying not to spill your damn tea in the middle of a rugby scrum....I was way harder than I thought it would be.

Sunday Morning

(Nothing but MacDeath's is open in Goshen or Nappannee before 0800...I had the Big Ballbreaker or whatever they call it and paid...and paid...and paid). I had Cliff bars and would have been better off eating the box they came in, rather than that platter of additives and enhancers. Oh well, sometimes calories are just calories.

Range time.

More contact to three pace, this time with guard positions for the off hand. There was also a "crowed bar" presentation drill (good stuff) that simulated the shooter being hemmed in on both sides, pressed against an object from the rear, and having hands pressed onto the shooter's shoulder. Body mechanics, positioning, grip, draw stroke, and presentation, under such pressing circumstances, was challenging. The drill itself was expertly supervised by Southnarc and things were intentionally kept at a very calm, measured, and controlled pace. Southnarc maintained a very calm, focused, and deliberate attitude for the shooter by moderating his vocal tone and speed of his speach. The focus generated by Southnarc, during this drill, made a situation with the potential for mishap, very safe.

Lunch was again provided by Tinman (thanks to your wife, great chili!).

After Lunch on Sunday was quite an eye opener. We had a gunfight, between two Sim equipped students, in the cab of a pick-up truck....holy **** that sucks! The technique, the pratice, the mindset, everything, prior to the vehicle fight, fit together to propell the students toward some measure of success. Evereyone got punched, cut, shot....hell, it's a gunfight inside an f'n' pick up truck for pitty's sake, but everyone, everyone, I mean everyone, got their hits in some fashion (thanks, Jeff, for letting us use your pick up for that exercise...I wouldn't have done that, hope we did not f' it up too bad.)

After Action Review

Craig and Paul, Larry had to leave on Saturday, set us up under the overhang at the clubhouse and went patiently, one by one, through the class. To a man, all advised their eyes were opened in some fashion or another.

I won't speek for any of them, but this is what I took away:

Great range and host.
    Great topic and lesson plan (which was professionaly adhered to).
    Respect to, and from, the instructor and AI's, was evident, but no cool-aid drinking or ball washing occured.
    I need a stand up, grapple distance, striking game.
    I need more and more specific fitness. Forget jogging 5 miles, I need to be able to run 1 mile with the focus and intensity of a meth addled valkyrie.
    Armed citizens, and cops alike, need to test themselves against a course like this. What you think you'll do?....well, a plan is just a list of things that don't happen.

I suspect many folks are living in a fantasy that intentionally excludes a ****ty gunfight, in a crowded bathroom, with two mopes, both having their own guns/knives/whatever when the first thing you know about this "problem" is after you've been tackled and knocked to the floor (probably banging your head on the crusty toilet bowl on the way down).

Work the hard ****.

Thanks Southnarc...reality sucks, embrace it, train for it, fight, and live.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jim,

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed the class.

I will say that you did well, took the lumps and worked hard, everyone did. For most this class is somewhat of a paradigm shift, many think they know what a fight will look like, and what they need to survive it, then they get into one. Southnarc, does everything in his power to make it as realistic as possible. If you noticed, there was very little scripting going on during evo's for the most part it was here is the basic premise and it was on the role players to evolve the scenario from there. That makes for some interesting evos, and a lot of variety In this type of environment, safety can be an issue, and Southnarc never fails to control those issues and provide the hardest training possible.

Now comes the hard work, you've evaluated yourself, and know what you lack, what do you do with that information?

I look forward to training with you again.

Tinman....

PS. I'll let the wife know you liked the chili

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This was an outstanding class.

I went as an ego check and because I knew I had a hole in my training. Plate carriers, PKMs and fireteams of dudes are great, but won't help me in a clinch fight in some dark alley.

I have zero fighting background. No wrestling in HS. Just fights, football and rugby. So, I was counting on my high level of conditioning to carry the day, wear the other dude out and get a win. Total BS. I didn't have time to wear the other guy out if he had any scrap of ground game, he could shut me down. WOW.

I won some, I lost some and I learned a LOT. It was a phyiscally hard weekend of training, but I could have kept going and going. I did not really suffer any fitness related deficits, but some of those fights were hard. Also, Jim Grey outweighs me by 120 pounds. Holy crap, going up against him, even standing, takes its toll.

However, I was owned by a 160 pound doctor from Fort Wayne. That dude climbed all over me like a spider monkey. That was a wake up call.

The range time was valuable, espcially since I had questions about shooting from a compressed platform, specifically position 3 in the draw stroke. Southnarc and his crew set me straight and got me into solid COM shots in short order.

I am looking into a jits gym in my AO, this week.

Take aways: hips and legs, very important
    Fitness-sustain
    Ground game-get one
    knife-carry one- I have a couple TDIs and other clinch knives, but don't carry them. I did not use one in class to game it. I got cut a lot.

Thanks to Southnarc and Paul and Larry for putting on one hell of a valubale class. One that may save my life some day.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for the reviews guys. Sounds like everyone had a great time and learned some excellent lessons. I always enjoying reading these if I'm not in the class (especially the OP).

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    If you are serious about learning to defend yourself, you need to train with South Narc. He has a very large piece of the puzzle to offer.

BIX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Still working through my notes and will probably post a more formal AAR once I have -- but, just wanted to chime in that this class was exceptional. Both in terms of material presented and as an audit of existing skillsets. I may not have liked everything I learned about myself this weekend; but now I know precisely what I need to work on.

Great guys in Goshen, as always. Good to work with familiar faces again and good to meet new folks, as well. One of the big benefits of taking a class hosted by Tinman is the company you get to keep.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I have been running a mental AAR for the past week...

JG hit it on the nail perfectly with his comment of working the hard stuff. I do not understand how anyone who carries a gun for real would not be in this class if they at all could be? The reality check of this class was well worth the financial outlay and measure of where you may really stand.

The class was well presented and controlled and allowed for to the edge training that remained as safe as possible for all participants. I really appreciated the level of seriousness of the students yet there were no Rambo's or a-holes out to kill somebody in the name of ego, bruises and bumps were taken as part of the price for training and I think everyone enjoyed the camaraderie of misery.

From personal experience as a trauma nurse the most lethal gunshot wounds I have worked were all close range and small caliber weapons, say 9mm and below. This class reinforced the reality of what I have seen personally and this lent credence to the subject matter and trainers.

The most disturbing thing I came away with was how many times my own tools were taken away and used against me. Some may say that the role players knew you had a gun, but even so, after 10 seconds engaged with someone I would think that any concealment you may have had would be gone and all bets are off. Another thing I learned is that I need to start incorporating more striking into my ground game and keep the tools I have more in mind to use and work on in-fight weapons access if the situation dictates.

Another interesting observation had to do with the much maligned SERPA holsters...they work and I think the whole ND issue with them (training deficiency?) and the general discontent for them is proof of the disconnect between range mentality and reality. My comment is made from a standpoint of not much experience with them so take it for what it's worth, but I saw and experienced retention holsters work during the two-on-one evolutions and I rest my case on those experiences.

I was more than happy to loan the old girl for the vehicle iterations. Truth be told I was more worried about somebody shooting my side view mirror off during the vehicle live fore than anything happening during the FOF...maybe you heard me praying for my steering column to hold up though!

I came to this class to fail and fail I did over and over...I would rather fail there than for real...

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Just had another FoF class this weekend and the lessons learned in this class helped me immensely. I was typing up notes and found this thread again.

I still can't bend my right index finger correctly after the lawyer from Chicago almost ripped it off using the trigger guard on the Glock 17T. Good stuff.

Top Bottom