Sparkling Steel! 62 Grain vs. Bobcat AR500 = Fireworks!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    This is a 3mb rotating gif so give it time:

5524425414_ba731df346_o.gif

Thanks Bobcat!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Very neat .gif!
    As it was loading (slowly on my internet connection....:D) I noticed how the sparks had already shot out before the plate started to move. Cool!

Did the 62 grain rounds have a steel core? Was it the steel core that made the sparks?

(I'm amazed your video camera has survived this long considering all the trauma you put it through!)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Very neat .gif!
    As it was loading (slowly on my internet connection....:D) I noticed how the sparks had already shot out before the plate started to move. Cool!

Did the 62 grain rounds have a steel core? Was it the steel core that made the sparks?

(I'm amazed your video camera has survived this long considering all the trauma you put it through!)

This is the third camera. #1 died violently. #2 is simply inadequate to the task. This is #3. The tripod also no longer has extending legs. They did stop the rounds however...

The steel core seems to be the key to the sparkles and the side of the plate *may* increase the violence of the sparklies. The larger plate at 8" makes more than a 4". My guess is that the larger place holds it's place longer (inertia) and forces more energy back into the round. It might be increased energy, or it might be decreased deflection. Either way the bigger the plate the bigger the sparkles it seems.

.308 NATO does not cause this same reaction so the issue must be the steel core.

Of course, the only solution is to find some .308 steel core!

Top Bottom