• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I've been asked to make a shell pouch for a kid getting into sporting clays he's completely new so he is undecided on the style. What's more common and preferred the pouches that hold the box itself or the larger pouches that hold loose shells? I would imagine it would be the one that holds the box but I was looking at pictures of my wife's grandpa and he and all his buddy's wore the dump pouch style.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I've been asked to make a shell pouch for a kid getting into sporting clays he's completely new so he is undecided on the style. What's more common and preferred the pouches that hold the box itself or the larger pouches that hold loose shells? I would imagine it would be the one that holds the box but I was looking at pictures of my wife's grandpa and he and all his buddy's wore the dump pouch style.
    Generally the ones that hang on your belt are for a single box sized for 12g. I see these often for trap shooting.

Sporting clays is usually 100 rounds spread out over a course so for those a carry bag with a shoulder strap can be nice. It's what I use....but mine is not leather.

Maybe the father can get a better idea from the son.

Looking forward to seeing this one....a leather shell pouch would be awesome!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Since it is sporting clays and he'll be hauling multiple boxes off body, I think a dump pouch would be easier than trying to carefully remove and insert boxes into a box pouch.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I'm gonna give the dad a call here in a bit and see if the boy has settled on what he wanted to do since he's trying out a couple different shotgun sports. It sounded like it was going to be sporting clays so I'll probably be making a bag.

I also have a 25 round box carrier to make for one of the VPs at works son that's getting into trap.

It's good to see some kids getting into shooting sports I'm excited to be a part of their experience.

BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co
    I would say go for the loose shell dump style pouch. I started out with a stacked pouch, one portion held 2 boxes of shells loose and the bottom portion held hulls. Another thing that may be worth looking into would be doing a full belt setup with 2 bags for shells and 1 larger bag in the back for hulls? Make the shell bags big enough to hold 2 boxes each and then a larger bag in the back, almost like a lightweight Filson game bag knock-off.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    @freekforge

Any updates on this, or will you be posting in the all things leather thread?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    @freekforge

Any updates on this, or will you be posting in the all things leather thread?

Got the leather for it just waiting to finish up some other stuff for the same guy before I start.

Top Bottom