• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I

IN28

What would be the best auto shotgun for sportings clays? I am looking at a Beretta urika.

zepan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Bennalli is the only way to go in the autos. Go for an o/u with quick change choke tubes. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I worked the Sporting clays world championship in San Antonio. The beretta 391 in various flavors out numbered all the other brands put together.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    O/U were the largest number of entries.

In skeet and sporting clays, the advantage of an O/U is that you can have a company like Kolar or Briley and 3 sets of tube inserts so you can use the same gun to enter into all events. There are 12 gauge, 20 gauge, 28 gauge and .410 events. My set of custom fit Kolar tubes cost $1800. My choice of O/U was about $4000, plus A $450 Americase to carry it all. If I didn't have a tube set, I would need $16,000 for shotguns and another $1900 for four Americase gun cases, plus carry all that weight around and have to pay at least $200 extra on every flight to bring all four guns with me. I couldn't bankroll that.

Last edited:

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Where are you located? A lot of members on here are into clay games and have auto loaders. If you're in NWI I could meet up and you could try a few.

Most members are friendly, most.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    If you want to go with a semi auto check out a Benelli Super Sport. My first sporting clays gun was a Berretta 390 that I bought new, I couldn't make it through a full course with out it jamming toward the end. I put more then enough rounds through it to break it in and was meticoulous in cleaning and lubing it but it would start jamming the last couple of stations. This was with new high quality ammo also. I sold it and bought a Ruger red label O/U, had it throated and ported by magna port and it shot great but I sold it shortly after I bought my SS. Most people that I know that are really into sporting clays shoot O/U's but I prefer a semi auto. :twocents:

Chris

Top Bottom