• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've drove by this range on my way to shoot clays at Sugar Creek Sporting Clays countless times. I always say I'm going to check it out but never have. I searched the archives to see if anyone has ever commented on it and found nothing. So I called the guy who runs it and he told me a little about the range; fees, meetings, a little about the range. I have been to Sycamore Valley and Attebury, but they are both quite a drive. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a place to shoot and shoot often. I wanted to see if anyone is a member, used to be a member, or has shot at the Sportsman's Club in Mitchell and what their experiences were like.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I had no idea that Mitchell had a shooting range. I'm no financial guru, but I would recommend they gear a portion of their budget for some advertising.

I'm curious to see the responses to this thread.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A lot of nice little range/clubs do not want to advertize. They have a tight knit group of friends were everyone trusts each other and no one tears up the place. I have spent many hours working at several different gun clubs building and repairing Facilities for everyone to enjoy only to come back in a week and find the stuff all shot up and broken from stupidity.
    There are lots of people out there who are gun owners that are not who you want on the property with you. Some are simply uneducated, and I applaud people putting on safety and competency courses like the National Shooting Sports Foundation "first shots program" , The NRA courses, Appleseed, etc. Those who are willing to submit to some proper training and etiquette can often become productive members of a private club. Some people are just jerks and just because they own some guns, does not make them a member of a community. I was a member of a small private club that decided to have an open day. Some drug store rambo types came and did stupid things, that ended up putting a rifle bullet in an airplane hangered almost 90 degrees away from the line of fire. That club almost got shut down entirely. They were allowed to reopen, but they can only shoot shotguns there, no pistols or rifles. It only takes one.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    A lot of nice little range/clubs do not want to advertize. They have a tight knit group of friends were everyone trusts each other and no one tears up the place. I have spent many hours working at several different gun clubs building and repairing Facilities for everyone to enjoy only to come back in a week and find the stuff all shot up and broken from stupidity.
    There are lots of people out there who are gun owners that are not who you want on the property with you. Some are simply uneducated, and I applaud people putting on safety and competency courses like the National Shooting Sports Foundation "first shots program" , The NRA courses, Appleseed, etc. Those who are willing to submit to some proper training and etiquette can often become productive members of a private club. Some people are just jerks and just because they own some guns, does not make them a member of a community. I was a member of a small private club that decided to have an open day. Some drug store rambo types came and did stupid things, that ended up putting a rifle bullet in an airplane hangered almost 90 degrees away from the line of fire. That club almost got shut down entirely. They were allowed to reopen, but they can only shoot shotguns there, no pistols or rifles. It only takes one.

A valid point. In my mind, I was working under the assumption that the range was interested in new customers. You very well could be correct.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    FWIW, take a look using google earth...kinda gives you an idea of the range. The range is back, behind the club house that you see from the road.

Out of curiosity, what did the club president tell you?

Thanks.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    FWIW, take a look using google earth...kinda gives you an idea of the range. The range is back, behind the club house that you see from the road.

Out of curiosity, what did the club president tell you?

Thanks.

Just said that they had a pistol and rifle range. They had a meeting on the last day of every month.

Yeah I google earthed it the other day and was looking at the berms. I'm going to go to the meeting on the 31st and see what its all about. After I PM'd you earlier I found out a guy at the gym is a member there and he was telling me about it

I believe if your a member of a private range, or any range for that matter, you need to treat the place like you own it. (Picking up after yourself and keeping the place nice, keeping yourself and everyone else safe). I've been to enough public ranges to know I want to know who's shooting next to me.

blink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I've been a member down there for about a year now. Really enjoy heading down there whenever I get a chance. The place is never what I would call crowded. Whenever I've met other members they have been some of the nicest guys you've could ever meet. It's got a covered shooting line, a 25, 50 and 100 yard range also a couple of pistol dugouts.

blink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I've got a friend that joined out there. I thought it was called County Seat Fish and Game. I did like how they have scenarios set up. Would really to to go and check out a USPSA match sometime.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I've got a friend that joined out there. I thought it was called County Seat Fish and Game. I did like how they have scenarios set up. Would really to to go and check out a USPSA match sometime.

I think that is the "official" name of the property. The South Central Gun Club is the USPSA club name.

I have several videos of USPSA matches out there, just dig thru and find the ones marked South Central or SCGC:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickmanplace/videos

Any time you want to check it out, just let me know. I need to get out there and break in my new carry gun.

Top Bottom