• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I picked up a springfield 1903 this weekend! It was a trade from a fellow ingo member and I am very happy with the trade and just looking for a few opinions. It has been upgraded both good and bad. If your going to say any 1903 upgrade is bad please move on.

It has upgraded wood stock and been glass bedded, new trigger not sure what brand but its aluminium and is a little to light, lyman peep sight and lyman front sight and the bolt has been jeweled. Then the bad it has been drilled for a scope:( Looks like twice on the side of the reciever, 5 holes and 3 have screw plugs. Give me a day and I will have pics up. Its a nice rifle and I havnt been able to put it down since picking it up.

I am thinking of having it hot blued and is there anyway to have the holes tig welded? If so who could do that? Or should I just try to find a scope mount to put back on it? I like the idea of peep sights but there is prolly a hole underneth the peep also. Maybe the title should of been i need a gunsmith!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Get that rifle cleaned up and shoot it! My brother has an 03A3, shoots very nice. I almost bought a sporterized 03 once, had some goofy blue stock on it so I passed. Probably should have bought it in hindsight.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Chase515,

I AM one of "those guys" who will deride any modification because they always reduce the value of a firearm to collectors and historical significance.

This doesn't just apply to firearms, it applies to everything antique.

Restoration... That is another issue.

Some of the very early 1903s were manufactured with inferior steel. They had "issues" with blowing up in some soldiers faces. At some point the United States recalled some and improved manufacturing techniques.

IF your 1903 is an extremely low serial number then you may want to be more careful. I have an early one that is in fine condition but I won't fire any "hot" ammunition through it! I use some old surplus and it works fine.

For the rest of your questions a good gunsmith would be useful. I don't have the links readily available but there is an American Military section to the Gunboards.com. These collectors are a wealth of information that could tell you a lot more about your rifle than I can.

Good luck with it and safe shooting!

Regards,

Doug

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Get that rifle cleaned up and shoot it! My brother has an 03A3, shoots very nice. I almost bought a sporterized 03 once, had some goofy blue stock on it so I passed. Probably should have bought it in hindsight.

I plan to shoot it alot! Picked up three boxes of ammo, now I have a total of five. Almost forgot the set of reloading dies I picked up saturday also. Sporterized dosnt make it bad in my book but a goofy blue stock would turn most people away lol!!!

Chase515,

I AM one of "those guys" who will deride any modification because they always reduce the value of a firearm to collectors and historical significance.

This doesn't just apply to firearms, it applies to everything antique.

Restoration... That is another issue.

I wish it could be restored but I forgot to mention the barrel has been shortened. My goal is to clean up the rough edges and shoot it. Maybe 20 or 30 years down the road my son can do something with it. Who knows how the market for them will change?

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In

Pic 1 looking good!

Pic2 still looking good! But I did notice when taking the pic someone had removed some stock material under the sight.

Pic3 Lyman front sight, first one I have ever seen.

Pic 4 US Springfield Armory :patriot: High serial # Think it was made in 1944.

Pic 5 the ugly.

Pic 6. Dose that little hole belong there?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    That looks like a nice old gun. The hole in pic #6 is supposed to be there.
    It would be nice if you could find the scope mount that it was drilled and tapped for.

Top Bottom