• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    The definition of bargain for us was defined by going to Joey's Wallpaper in Toto Indiana. Back in the day our low budget income made this the place to shop. I am not sure if the place still exists.

I have had the privilege of enjoying the nicest 1911's on the planet. However, going full circle, I am getting so much fun out of production grade 1911's. Today's lowest price 1911 is still better than what Norinco, Llama, and others used to offer up as production grade 1911's. Colt was better than these imports but had trouble running the marathon of real shooters. Simply, they needed work. In my training business, I am asked many times what 1911 should one get. This question goes around here on this keyboard curriculum from time to time. My answer for many years has been and still is complicated. Some gun owners need to stay away from 1911's all together if they are not going to put in the time, work and commitment to really learn the platform, inside and out. There is a reason, the low cost polymer simple service pistol is perfect for the masses. It is easier.

In production grade 1911's I suggest any Springfield Armory. They offer many levels of 1911's and they all work out of the box. Of course if one wants to just shoot and enjoy a premium 1911's, then custom guns from my friends, Ed Brown and Les Baer. This review however, is about an off the shelf SA 1911 Garrison in blue finish. https://www.springfield-armory.com/...rrison-handguns/1911-garrison-45-acp-handgun/.

The purchase,

Trying to help the LGS instead of GunBroker, I picked up this piece from the business south of Indianapolis and went home with it. It was priced at $795 but since it had all kinds of handling marks on it from being strewn around by gun groupies and customers alike and bumped and bruised every time a clerk pulled it in and out of display case custody, I got a break of $45.00 off. I would have preferred a new one in the box but was told everything is out for display. Pictures below will show the marks but for me it is to be a shooter first and a looker second.

This gun offers me the opportunity to receive some issues that I got for free by buying a production grade low priced item. And, since I cannot be fired for exposing my opinion, I will list some of the pitfalls. You won't find this honesty in any Corporate Fed magazine article unless the author wants fired for stating his truth and opinion.

Outside of all the nicks and scratches, we have some finishing shortcuts that will need dressed. The rear of the slide is not blended to the frame. It makes it look like the gun is not in battery but it is just cosmetic. The polishing before the blue finish is mediocre at best. Again, just cosmetic. The rear sight was drifted all the way to the right and needed adjusted. And lastly, the barrel still had carbon junk left over from the factory test fire. I guess merchants don't care to dress their inventory when the showroom is quiet. The mainspring is of some lightweight material resembling plastic or something. Of course, the fire control parts are fourth generation MIM which I have been running for quite awhile in a few other guns with no problems yet. I am not a big fan of slim grips. I feel the regular grips should come on the gun and then if some teeny tiny handed person can't grip the gun right, then it would be up to that person to swap them out. It is like when I order Chili in a restaurant, IMHO it should not come with all kinds of cheese, sour cream, onion straws and other crap unless I ask for it. This gun only comes with one magazine. As a last complaint, I wish manufactures would put the build date on the box label. With the games that distributors play and with the gun changing in the chain many times, you do not know when the gun was built or what production value and changes you are getting. If we as consumers would demand this, then the manufactures would do it, however, most cattle don't care where they drink. In most cases one has to call the Manufacturer to get a production date.

The Value,

Many of the items I got on this gun is because of what I didn't pay. That's on me. What is nice is what I end up with. Of course, I trust no one with my guns. Before shooting I put a patch of Hoppes https://www.hoppes.com/cleaners-and...l-hoppes-9/no.-9-gun-bore-cleaner/P00347.html through the barrel and lubricated the rails and such as the gun was dried out for it's long run from manufacturer to the store shelf that could be years for all I know. One never knows if a disgruntled employee might fill the barrel with something to create havoc so I always check before I shoot a new gun. This gun shoots, and shoots well right out of the box. Of course SA includes NM barrels in most of their 1911's. The target below is a 20 yard target from the bench. The gun feeds everything. Wadcutters, Hollow Cavity, FMJ no matter. Lock up was tight and timing was perfect in slide travel. It is also nice that it comes with a traditional slide stop. I scratch my head on the recessed or chamfered support hole on the right side of the frame on so many of today's 1911. Why in the world would anyone want to compromise this load bearing structure? This looks only option often requires a tool to take the gun apart and offers very little in visual/physical aid for slide stop reference firmly in the gun. Slide to frame fit is far better than any Colt I have ever owned. Trigger broke clean and under 5 LBS. The factory box is a nice touch as it is not a bulky plastic container that provides no value to me. It does come with a zippered bag which I find myself using from time to time. Many of the finish issues would be easily taken care of on this gun if it were stainless. Stainless Steel is corrosion resistant and scotch brite will erase small scratches, but it lacks the density and hardness of Carbon Steel. I also prefer my carbon steel rust blued as I am not big fan of painting my guns with some space age goo.

The improvement,

With some Ed Brown parts, I put in a slightly extended mag release, all steel checkered two piece mag well https://www.edbrown.com/handguns/. I know SA was just trying to give what the buyers think they want but the Novak Style 3 dot Combat sights do not work well for me. I like my sight system to be right on and not a combat cover of the target. Also, I find dots, glass, recesses or any other distraction gets in my way of a fast clean black blade. So I turn to my friend Dick Heinie https://www.heinie.com/ultra-low-mount-ledge-rear-sight-black.html. A touch of bright orange paint on my all steel front sight does the trick for my old eyes. I do not have to worry about gas leaking out or the fishing line optic deteriorating or flying off when I need it the most. Next the grips need changed out. As earlier stated I prefer the standard thickness in my grips and in staying with my tradition that guns need to be Steel and wood, I can cross dress with many varieties of wood grips. Dressing the scratches in the finish, I used some cold blue touch up. Finally, I installed an Ed Brown two piece guide rod for conformity with all my other 1911's.

I realize that many think the single stack .45 is outdated. Sorry bout ya. I happen to find them quite efficient. After all, when it comes to defense one is probably not alive after 5 anyway. Fact is, no matter how you outfit yourself, the Tumors, failing organ muscles or diabetes will do you in long before you are in a John Wick gunfight.

Now I know that there are customers who have disagreed with the politics of what they think how the company stands. My advice to those folks is, even if a company does make a mistake, consider the end value to the market if they make good stuff. Also, I contend that the shallow individual knows nothing of working with a BOD and being President is no easy tasks with so many controlling opinions in charge. Also, get to know the players. When a good friend of mine was fired from a major gun publisher , they tried to put a anti 2nd amendment twist to it. Not true. When you really know a person it helps to understand the accusations. I know many of the people personally at SA as well, they are definitely not anti gun anything. In the country today, many form their opinions on what they see on TV or media. Depending on the media, it is quite possible to vote for a cartoon character and no one would know the difference.

In closing,

If you are not into the 1911 all the way, then forget about it. Stay with what you know. However, in a world filled with cheap imports and so many variables on a 1911 theme, American made production
    1911's are a great buy and Springfield Armory is a top choice for me. Bargains mean different things to different folks, but Pride, Profit, Hate, Love and Fear all play a part in your buying decision. It certainly is a great time for pistol choices for the American Shooter but make no mistake only the market can keep it alive. Otherwise, the discontinued discount houses that fuel Briteway, Ollies, Fetlas will be around forever. And lets not forget Toto.

See You On The Range,

Trapper

IMG_0996 (002).jpg
    IMG_0997 (002).jpg
    IMG_1005 (002).jpg
    IMG_1259 (002).jpg
    IMG_0995 (002).jpg
    IMG_1244 (002).jpg
    IMG_1228 (002).JPG
    IMG_1425 (002).JPG
    IMG_1405 (002).JPG
    IMG_1260 (002).jpg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    My EDC.
    I Added Meprolight nightsights a 10 round magazine for cold weather carry and some Black Rubber Ruger grips i had laying around. I have 750 rounds down range with no malfunctions and 60 230 grain Gold Dots for carry testing. With 10 rounds on board I do not feel underguned at all.

Nice write up on what I consider a great value in a 1911

Attachments

• 20231217_134607.jpg
      20231217_134607.jpg
      256 KB · Views: 8
    • 20231217_134637.jpg
      20231217_134637.jpg
      222.8 KB · Views: 9

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Wow, informative and yet insulting at the same time. Good job.
    About that. First thank you for reading my posts. I have been called insulting (and other things) a few times but I wish to spread my take on it. When I started on this forum, I made it a point to express my true feelings. One of my 1st amendment rights. Many hate mongers, some who had to be suspended, took offense to me writing about what, how and why I like what I like.

As I am not a degreed journalist that tries to play the narratives, I can only report the way I see it from my own experiences. Some, mistakenly think I only like old stuff when in reality I am quite active in the high capacity shooting sports as well. Of the 20,000 rounds fired this year the majority were 9MM double stacks.

An example of an insult might read like this. "why in the world would you drive a stupid color of truck that blends in with the environment ?" I prefer to write it like this, "I encourage me and my family to drive more colorful cars to improve awareness to oncoming traffic." Mr truck driver with his new Sandstone Fog Mist GMC 4 door extra long cab and bed might take offense. If that is the case I find that, to take offense of statements of what and why I like and offer them for debate, then the insulted must be insecure in his conviction and would rather lash out with hate than understand that we can be different for different reasons.

As a disclaimer, most of my threads are aimed at the Indiana Gun Owner and professional applications are exempt in a lot of cases regarding equipment. So it is what it is. Everything we do and every choice we make needs to be reckoned within our character and justified in our minds. Any subject or topic I have ever posted is open for a sit down debate but so far no one has come forward to compare our justification on the range. Not one of my subject posts are so weak that I am afraid of a debate.

In closing, there is no right or wrong, just my way and your way.

See you on the range.....

Trapper

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    About that. First thank you for reading my posts. I have been called insulting (and other things) a few times but I wish to spread my take on it. When I started on this forum, I made it a point to express my true feelings. One of my 1st amendment rights. Many hate mongers, some who had to be suspended, took offense to me writing about what, how and why I like what I like.

As I am not a degreed journalist that tries to play the narratives, I can only report the way I see it from my own experiences. Some, mistakenly think I only like old stuff when in reality I am quite active in the high capacity shooting sports as well. Of the 20,000 rounds fired this year the majority were 9MM double stacks.

An example of an insult might read like this. "why in the world would you drive a stupid color of truck that blends in with the environment ?" I prefer to write it like this, "I encourage me and my family to drive more colorful cars to improve awareness to oncoming traffic." Mr truck driver with his new Sandstone Fog Mist GMC 4 door extra long cab and bed might take offense. If that is the case I find that, to take offense of statements of what and why I like and offer them for debate, then the insulted must be insecure in his conviction and would rather lash out with hate than understand that we can be different for different reasons.

As a disclaimer, most of my threads are aimed at the Indiana Gun Owner and professional applications are exempt in a lot of cases regarding equipment. So it is what it is. Everything we do and every choice we make needs to be reckoned within our character and justified in our minds. Any subject or topic I have ever posted is open for a sit down debate but so far no one has come forward to compare our justification on the range. Not one of my subject posts are so weak that I am afraid of a debate.

In closing, there is no right or wrong, just my way and your way.

See you on the range.....

Trapper
    Eh, I like good debates, and being real. I learn the most from folks who are different and have differing opinions, so all good with that.

It's the pontificating about the unwashed masses that gets a little tough to wade through.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Eh, I like good debates, and being real. I learn the most from folks who are different and have differing opinions, so all good with that.

It's the pontificating about the unwashed masses that gets a little tough to wade through.
    Yeah I get it. Been following Trump too much……. if I take out the sarcasm my word count will drop too low….LOL

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I find your posts great, and very informative, most, if not all, of your guns are bucket list guns, and droolworthy.. Keep up the good work, your pictures are worthy of catalogs, or magazines, I don't know what you do for a living, but your layouts are fantastic, lighting, and subjects are great!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I also have a Garrison and agree that it's a fantastic 1911, especially for the price. I've not done anything to it, other than replace the grips and for a mostly stock gun it's a great shooter.

twEZ75Q.jpg

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    An entertaining and thorough read - thanks! The Garrison was my choice for my first 1911, and I think it was a good one. Lots of nice features for not a lot of money. A lot of feedback from others in the know echoed this sentiment. It was easy to swap a few things to make it more to my liking, and it has been a pleasure to shoot. 20231202_154238.jpg

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I wish the Garrison had been an option when I was shopping for a 1911. I ended up with a Loaded, which is a great gun, but I spent a bunch of time and money making it into what ultimately was offered as the Garrison by deleting the ambi-safety and installing a GI guide rod. And after all that mine still has those stupid front serrations that chew up my holsters.

Don't get me wrong. I still love the gun and enjoy shooting it. And in the process I upgraded all the ignition components to tool steel parts, so it wasn't a total waste. It just would have been easier and cheaper to get exactly what I wanted out of the box.

IMG_20220313_163224582~2.jpg

Top Bottom