• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co
    Just saw Springfield announced the 2020 in a rimfire configuration. It appears to use a similar rotating 10 round magazine to the 77/22 and 10/22 and comes in synthetic and wood stocks. It seems to be priced well for a bolt action .22 and it is nice to see something new coming to the market. It just seems that its nothing new and innovative. Anyone else have any other thoughts on this? Am I missing something?

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Like you said...seems ok, but nothing ground breaking. But then again the .22lr rifle has been a staple of the gun community since forever, so it's not like engineers can squeeze in anything new features. I think $400+ is kinda steep in this market though, since you can get a cost effective Winchester Xpert for way less.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Being a lefty rifle shooter (Shooting position, not political position) bolt gun .22's don't interest me very much, lefty .22 bolts seem to cost about what a fine used car would...I got my 10/22 set up as I like it....so "get off my lawn"!.......uh..sorry for the old man rant..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Heck, I'm looking at maybe an Anschutz sporter, and I hardly shoot .22 lr anymore.
    Nothing wrong with a utilitarian mindset.
    But a .22 rifle.............seems to be the most heirloom kinda rig IMHO.

BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co
    If one shoots 5 shots under .5 at 50 yards, w match ammo, I'd consider that a good deal.

FWIW a CZ 457 in walnut is $600.
    Yeah, this is more or less my point. They're actually claiming under an inch at 50 yards, which still isn't terrible but not great by any means. Agreed with .22s being heirloom guns. Those Anschutz rifles are slick.

I'm actually getting back to shooting my .22s more than anything else lately, granted availability is up and prices seem to be down a bit. Looking back at the $5 brick days these prices hurt.

Like Mr. Smitty said, at least offer it in a left hand configuration. The one thing that is somewhat interesting is it uses a 700 design trigger so it should take any aftermarket offering for them. Then again, that may mean they didnt go out of their way to make it anything but lackluster. On top of that, it just adds cost on the end and you're going to be getting into nicer .22 category/price point.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm pretty excited about this announcement and especially the MSRP's. Some have said there's nothing really innovative and ground breaking but the market has been without a nice full size wood stocked .22 for quite awhile (short of the nice CZ 457 American). Savage makes the 93 but it has just a plain wood stock and is pretty rudimentary, Ruger has the American but again plain wood stock and ugly checkering. This new 2020 has classic checkering and available in standard walnut and up to AAA grade walnut! The target version will likely make a nice entry level heavy barreled gun for someone that wants that style but not serious enough to put a lot of $$ into one. Hopefully the higher grade wood guns actually become available.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Yeah, this is more or less my point. They're actually claiming under an inch at 50 yards, which still isn't terrible but not great by any means. Agreed with .22s being heirloom guns. Those Anschutz rifles are slick.
    Under an inch at 50 yds? That's not much of claim to make if you're trying to sell rifles. Throw a scope on it with no parallax adjustment and 1/2 moa clicks and you'll be all set!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I'm pretty excited about this announcement and especially the MSRP's. Some have said there's nothing really innovative and ground breaking but the market has been without a nice full size wood stocked .22 for quite awhile (short of the nice CZ 457 American). Savage makes the 93 but it has just a plain wood stock and is pretty rudimentary, Ruger has the American but again plain wood stock and ugly checkering. This new 2020 has classic checkering and available in standard walnut and up to AAA grade walnut! The target version will likely make a nice entry level heavy barreled gun for someone that wants that style but not serious enough to put a lot of $$ into one. Hopefully the higher grade wood guns actually become available.
    I think that AAA Walnut stocked version is beautiful. I plan on getting one just because it looks so nice.

Top Bottom