• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    For Christmas, I got a Springfield Model 1884 Trapdoor rifle, 45-70.

Do any of you know much about this rifle? I have lots of questions for someone knowledgable.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    What would you like to know?

1. The previous owner, when he was young and foolish, applied shellac to the stock. I'd like to remove it and restore the oil finish to the wood. What's the best way to do it?

2. Who, if anyone, makes a commercial load that mimics the 500 grain 1330 fps round that the sights were made for?

3. What hand loads can do the above with modern powder?

4. How do you measure the bore, since its rifling is the 3 groove type?

I may have others.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    1. Try furniture stripper. The older, the better. Once you "melt away" the crud you need to "boil" the stock. This is done by boiling towels in a pot of water and wrapping them tightly around the stock several times. This will pull out the oil and raise any dents in the wood. After that, refinishing is just a matter of how the stock was originally done. Normally just boiled linseed oil or something equivalent.

2. I don't know of anyone that produces commercial 45-70 ammo to fit the sight drop. Handloading with blackpowder is the best option.

3. As far as I know, none. The information I have on the trapdoors indicates that the actions were made of soft steel and fairly weak. Modern smokeless powder is not safe, and any handloading should be done with blackpowder.

4. The best way to measure a bore is to "slug it". Get a lead round ball a little oversized of the bore and shove it through the barrel, then mike the widest part.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Don't really need stripper.... shellac dissolves in alcohol. take it all apart, start swabbing it with denatured alcohol, and it will eventually soften up and wipe off.

The oil finish is really easy.... use a boiled linseed oil or a pure tung oil, scrub the first couple of coats in with 0000 steel wool, then hand rub the last coats... leave at least 24hrs drying time in between coats.

My favorite resource for redoing stocks is here:
    Surplusrifle Forum • View forum - Stock Care and Replacement Stocks

There's tons of good information in the stickies, as well as a lot of good people available to answer specifics if you need addt'l help.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't really need stripper.... shellac dissolves in alcohol. take it all apart, start swabbing it with denatured alcohol, and it will eventually soften up and wipe off.

The oil finish is really easy.... use a boiled linseed oil or a pure tung oil, scrub the first couple of coats in with 0000 steel wool, then hand rub the last coats... leave at least 24hrs drying time in between coats.

My favorite resource for redoing stocks is here:
    Surplusrifle Forum • View forum - Stock Care and Replacement Stocks

There's tons of good information in the stickies, as well as a lot of good people available to answer specifics if you need addt'l help.

Good resource. I went there to figure out how to make a repair to a check in my trapdoor stock.

Here is a source for some black powder cartridges. Powder Inc. had a sale on discontinued Pinnacle powder black powder substitute 45-70 cartridges for such a good price I almost could not pass it up so bought a couple hundred cartridges.

Ammo at Black Dawge Cartridge

My repair. It will darken as time goes on. The repaired wood check is on the left side of the picture.

m73lockplate.jpg

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    4. The best way to measure a bore is to "slug it". Get a lead round ball a little oversized of the bore and shove it through the barrel, then mike the widest part.

I guess the problem with this is the three groove rifling. Apparently there's a tricky way to measure that I can't find on the internet.

Top Bottom