• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey ingo

I've had my manix2 for a few weeks now and have been pretty easy on it....mostly cutting feed/pellet bags open and cutting zip ties.

My factory edge is showing significant dings and wear.. sorta looks like there is a bur rolling side to side, but there isnt.

Anyone else had this?...I'll try to get a picture of it.

Please and thank you
    God bless
    - Shred

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    This can happen on a factory edge, especially with mass produced knives. Once you put a new edge on it, you shouldn't have any problems.
    What angle would you recommend using? I believe Spyderco is around 15/30 inclusive factory right? Maybe 20 degrees on a new edge?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    What angle would you recommend using? I believe Spyderco is around 15/30 inclusive factory right? Maybe 20 degrees on a new edge?

Spyderco actually used a 36 degree inclusive edge, or 18 degrees per side. This geometry lends itself to spydercos desired purpose which is cutting regular everyday items very very well such as cardboard, tape, paper, food preparation stuff like that, this steeper angle is even more efficient due to the relatively thin blade stock and full flat grind spyderco uses as well.

Now if you want to get rougher and cut harder materials such as zip ties and other non edge friendly things I would suggest a 44 inclusive edge as it will make the bevels more obtuse enabling them to take more abuse before they will "roll" and go dull as well as reduce the likely hood of chipping. Generally my preferred angle is 40 inclusive but I go a bit wider on spydercos due to the thin blade stock.

I did however put a 30 inclusive edge on my ZDP-189 Delica and I can dry shave with that knife its basically a straight razor now.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Spyderco actually used a 36 degree inclusive edge, or 18 degrees per side. This geometry lends itself to spydercos desired purpose which is cutting regular everyday items very very well such as cardboard, tape, paper, food preparation stuff like that, this steeper angle is even more efficient due to the relatively thin blade stock and full flat grind spyderco uses as well.

Now if you want to get rougher and cut harder materials such as zip ties and other non edge friendly things I would suggest a 44 inclusive edge as it will make the bevels more obtuse enabling them to take more abuse before they will "roll" and go dull as well as reduce the likely hood of chipping. Generally my preferred angle is 40 inclusive but I go a bit wider on spydercos due to the thin blade stock.

I did however put a 30 inclusive edge on my ZDP-189 Delica and I can dry shave with that knife its basically a straight razor now.

Interesting.

What angles can you sharpen with the Spyderco sharp maker?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Interesting.

What angles can you sharpen with the Spyderco sharp maker?

Not a clue, I use a wicked edge never bothered with the sharpmakers. I would not reccomend reprofiling on one though I heard its a bastard the sharpmakers was intended to maintain edges not reprofile them.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    On the cheaper end of the spectrum, I've had good success reprofiling with my DMT kit. Those diamond stones from DMT cut well.

Definitely not as nice or as fast as your set up, but it does the job.

Not a clue, I use a wicked edge never bothered with the sharpmakers. I would not reccomend reprofiling on one though I heard its a bastard the sharpmakers was intended to maintain edges not reprofile them.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Dean, you can dry shave with a cup of cream and a kitty cat tongue!

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville

I am usually cutting cardboard and tape. Should I stick with 18 on my PM2 or go to 20 degrees when the time comes?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am usually cutting cardboard and tape. Should I stick with 18 on my PM2 or go to 20 degrees when the time comes?

As long as you are not having any issues currently i would leave the angles alone personally. The smaller angle makes it easier to cut through materials like cardboard.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Do you do anything at the end of the day to maintain your edge??? If I do any heavy duty cutting I usually end the day with a strop session and it brings the edge back to life. Nothing fancy. Just a 2"x6" piece of scrap leather with some compound on the rough side. I keep it in my bag/back pack.

I get bored during night class and strop my knife after the days usage. I also have a small super fine arkansas stone if I feel like sharpening in class.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Do you do anything at the end of the day to maintain your edge??? If I do any heavy duty cutting I usually end the day with a strop session and it brings the edge back to life. Nothing fancy. Just a 2"x6" piece of scrap leather with some compound on the rough side. I keep it in my bag/back pack.

I get bored during night class and strop my knife after the days usage. I also have a small super fine arkansas stone if I feel like sharpening in class.

Stropping is a really good tool but if the edge has rolled like OP says it has then the edge needs actually sharpened with stones because the leather is not abrasive enough to remove rolls or burrs in the edge. The strops are for maintaining an edge, and people have to be careful while stropping because if using too steep of an angle the leather will actually form to the edge and dull the knife.

Top Bottom