• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    looking for a good place to squirrel hunt near bloomington. i assume all the public land is crowded and over hunted... anyone have any good spots they want to share?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    There are plenty of smaller tracts of Hoosier National Forest just south of you (with in a hour drive) that don't get hunted at all. I have been hunting down that way for over 25 years and even though I have plenty of private ground, I still hit some of the smaller public tracts to hunt. You need to get a plat book and a topo map......do your home work and scout. Plenty of public land that does not get a lot of hunting pressure.:twocents:

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Oh sorry I meant "curb squirrels" I just jump the curb and catch em on my bumper, any skate boards.bikes etc just go right under and the "squirrel" rolls up on the hood :)

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    DNR's "Where to Hunt" map seems to show outlines of private & public land. Anyone know how accurate it is? I found a couple spots that look great on the map. I need to go scout them now, but I don't want to make any property owners mad in the process.
    DNR: Where to Hunt

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    OK, I've never been squirrel hunting. If you shoot one, how long does it take the other to come back out, or do they not really go in?

In my yard with my pellet gun, the damn things don't run away. I can clobber them from 5-10 yards.

I've been wandering around Morgan-Monroe for an hour or two, and saw one squirrel, about 75 ft up. I just posted about how to find the dang things, since I am deaf in one ear and cannot judge the direction the chatter and nut drops come from.

Would like to bag a few this fall with my .22 lr.

Are most of the shot in the 15-50 yard range?

So Deam Lake / Clark State Forest is a promising area?

Thanks!

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    A block of Yellowwood State Forest north of SR 46 just east of Belmont. Scarce-o-Fat Ridge runs from SR 46 all of the way north up to SR 45. Look at a quad map. There is a narrow road that starts as pavement, winds through a little subdivision, tuns to gravel and ends at a gate at the SF boundary. There is a ton of property there to hunt and you can walk the ridge along an old logging road and turn off where ever you like. No one will be back there during squirrel season.

If you want to have room to walk and walk and walk, that is a good place.

Dirty Steve

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    A block of Yellowwood State Forest north of SR 46 just east of Belmont. Scarce-o-Fat Ridge runs from SR 46 all of the way north up to SR 45. Look at a quad map. There is a narrow road that starts as pavement, winds through a little subdivision, tuns to gravel and ends at a gate at the SF boundary. There is a ton of property there to hunt and you can walk the ridge along an old logging road and turn off where ever you like. No one will be back there during squirrel season.

If you want to have room to walk and walk and walk, that is a good place.

Dirty Steve

until Oct 1....

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    After Oct. 1 on the weekends,.....yes, during the week in the evening after work, no, still empty early and late bow season.

Don't hunt it much as I have other places close to work, but its convenient for a quick hunt.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom