• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    OK, a friend of mine is wanting a pistol that's not too big, not too small for her to shoot. It's pretty much been narrowed down between the SR or XD, as she already has a Glock. Please give me your nice, proactive thoughts. Thanks!!:) :yesway:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You cannot go wrong with either choice. :draw:

Personally, I'd switch the sr9 for the sr9c... that way you can choose to utilize either the compact or full size grip with the same gun, rather than be confined to ONLY using the full size grip on the sr9.

After that, the decision would come down to what safety features I did and didn't desire. Remember that the SR series has a lot of safeties on it (manual thumb safety, trigger safety, magazine disconnect safety, blah blah). Some people prefer that, others won't own a gun equipped with that.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I own an sr9c, I love it. Id rather have the SR9c than a regular XD, but I love the feel of the XDm. Plus the SR9c tends to be cheaper most places.

They imo are kinda different though, the SR9c has a very light trigger and has a safety. Cant go wrong either way but the manual safety adds another step in the process that some don't like, being a 1911 guy I am used to that so I don't mind. The SR9c trigger is the best of any plastic gun I have fired, I'm sure others would disagree.

Expanding on what jag said, the trigger safety is not an issue imo because most every other polymer gun has one too. The mag disconnect is dumb imo, but its not a big deal to me and is pretty easy to remove if you don't like it.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    If it's just to shoot, It would be a toss up but may lean toward the XD. If it will be carried, I like the SR9c myself after having a Glock 19 and the XD. As for the safeties on the SR9, the mag safety can be taken out pretty easily and the thumb safety can be used or not. I carried a 1911 for some years so,not an issue for me. I like both guns but the XD had a little bigger grip than I liked. The XD may have a few more options as far as accessories and is somewhat more expensive.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I definitely think either gun is a great choice. They are both reliable guns with great warranties. Like everyone else said, the XD will be more expensive but has a ton of accessories available for it.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I can't speak to loudly about either firearm but, I will say this: The loaded chamber indicator on the SR series, is ridiculously large and quite unattractive.

That being said, I think they are both great shooters. I've only shot the SR9c and the XD .45 (not the XDm line).

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have a SR9C and I love it. Shoots straight, easy to use, and small enough to conceal easily. I do not have any experience with the XD so cannot make a comment on that one.

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    I looked at xds and srs and ultimately chose the xd in large part due to aftermarket support. Both are nice shooters about the same size length and height. The sr is a little thinner so it may carry better. It also seemed like sr had a few more plastic pieces in it.

illmaniac123

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    East Indianapolis
    for the quality, and ergonomics Id go with the XD. I dont like the blocky feel of the ruger but it has great reviews in magazines. The ruger does have a manual safety which i do like a lot though.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I just picked up my XDm 9mm 4.5" last night... I love how that weapon fits in my hand...

OP, not sure if you and your friend looked at the XD, or the XDm, but the XDm has different backstraps, and the grip angle has been tweaked from the original XD.

Your friend may want to look at the XDm 3.8... smaller, easier to conceal for carry, and you can use full size XDm mags with the grip Xtension.

just my :twocents:

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i just bought an SR40 and ive had an xd and xdm in 9mm.

they are all great guns. i am so far extremely impressed with the ruger. it is extremely thin at 1". ruger has the width at 1.27 but that is from safety to safety, the grip is 1" thick and it has glock capacity. it also has a reversible rubber back strap that makes it very ergonomic, ambi safety, ambi mag release. i like the way that the XD grip is kind of square and the ruger is also but thinner. the recoil for a 40 is pretty tame, this is the first 40 i have owned but this thing recoils less than my XD9. the trigger is also pretty good, a little bit of creep but better than my XD and on par with the XDM i think.

tell her to try the SR9/40 they are priced very well. buds has them for $398 shipped.

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have a Ruger SR9, and have put 600 rounds through it without a single problem. The "loaded chamber indicator" is NOT that large at all. You don't even see it when sighting in a target. The SR9 is a fantastic handgun with an insane amount of aftermarket parts. I put a 3.5 pound trigger on mine, and I'm lovin' it.

Either gun will do, I just have more experience with the SR9. You'd save at least a hundred bucks with the Ruger though!

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I have a Ruger SR9, and have put 600 rounds through it without a single problem. The "loaded chamber indicator" is NOT that large at all. You don't even see it when sighting in a target. The SR9 is a fantastic handgun with an insane amount of aftermarket parts. I put a 3.5 pound trigger on mine, and I'm lovin' it.

Either gun will do, I just have more experience with the SR9. You'd save at least a hundred bucks with the Ruger though!

really what trigger? i just ordered kit 5 from galloway precision.

your right about the loaded chamber indicator. i have not seen much of an aftermarket for it though? do you know where i can buy a striker cover back plate for it?

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    for the quality, and ergonomics Id go with the XD. I dont like the blocky feel of the ruger but it has great reviews in magazines. The ruger does have a manual safety which i do like a lot though.

Are you sure you're talking about the SR9?? obviously, you're entitled to your opinion, but I've never heard anyone refer to the SR series as blocky. Their old semis (P series) were blocky, but IMO definitely not the newer SR series.

Top Bottom