• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Be very, very, very wary of KimPro Finish. The stuff is garbage and will chip with a scratch of a fingernail. I know from experience. I just had both of my Kimbers refinished recently in Cerakote and KG Gunkote.

Funny cause I never had an issue with the stock finish on my three Kimbers. I did have one refinished in Robar's NP3 but thats was only because I wanted to not because I had to. :dunno:

By the way the Duke in my avaitor is holding my Kimber T.L.E. Custom II :D

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Funny cause I never had an issue with the stock finish on my three Kimbers. I did have one refinished in Robar's NP3 but thats was only because I wanted to not because I had to. :dunno:

By the way the Duke in my avaitor is holding my Kimber T.L.E. Custom II :D

Probably because they were steel framed ones. Ask AllenM about my Tactical Pro II, and he will attest on how crappy the finish was. It had a manufacture date of Jan. '11. I'm happy that you were lucky enough to not have any problems. A simple google-fu of Kimber's crap finish will yield many more dissatisfied customers. Just because your gun didn't experience any finish wear doesn't mean that there isn't a flaw with the finish.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Probably because they were steel framed ones. Ask AllenM about my Tactical Pro II, and he will attest on how crappy the finish was. It had a manufacture date of Jan. '11. I'm happy that you were lucky enough to not have any problems. A simple google-fu of Kimber's crap finish will yield many more dissatisfied customers. Just because your gun didn't experience any finish wear doesn't mean that there isn't a flaw with the finish.

Is this something that's still happening or has Kimber resolved it? What have they said if contacted about a gun with a weak finish?

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Is this something that's still happening or has Kimber resolved it? What have they said if contacted about a gun with a weak finish?

I have no idea, but as you can see Jan. '11 is pretty recent. As far as contacting them, they said "they would look at it" but I would have to pay for the shipping costs. That is pretty urine poor CS:noway:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah, have my eye on a CQB or an Ultralight Carry......... Not sure if I can look back at Kimber or Sig now. Too bad Indiana Gun Club isn't open till Wednesday ...

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have had Kimber Custom TLE/RL II for 4 years now and have never had an Issue with the finish wearing thin. It was my truck gun and got banged around a lot in the console until I bought a S&W Pro Model 1911 Compact.

Funny cause I never had an issue with the stock finish on my three Kimbers. *I did have one refinished in Robar's NP3 but thats was only because I wanted to not because I had to. *:dunno:

It is apparent that Kimber owners don't know that the KimPro finish isn't applied to ALL Kimber pistols. Pistols with KimPro finish are as follows: Tactical, Covert, Aegis, CDP, & Super Carry. If you don't own any of the before mentioned models, then obviously the KimPro finish doesn't apply to your pistol.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Going on 2 years with my Kimber TLE RL II blue. She's not a safe queen but I do not carry her either.

I prefer blue over SS but I don't think you will have much of an issue with normal carry.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Your kidding right.....Yes KimPro Finish is TERRIBLE:noway::horse:
    I know nothing about the durability of the various gun finishes beyond the ones that I've personally owned. I've never owned a Kimber, so I would only know what their marketing materials say and whatever I learned from here.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I know nothing about the durability of the various gun finishes beyond the ones that I've personally owned. I've never owned a Kimber, so I would only know what their marketing materials say and whatever I learned from here.

Sorry for being harsh, but that is what I have been trying to say in my past three posts. Then others with Kimbers(i.e. Custom TLE) who don't even have KimPro finish chime in and say they haven't experienced any problems. Well no spit Sherlock that is probably because your particular Kimber doesn't have the KimPro finish. All right I'm done ranting. Happy New Year:ingo:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Sorry for being harsh, but that is what I have been trying to say in my past three posts. Then others with Kimbers(i.e. Custom TLE) who don't even have KimPro finish chime in and say they haven't experienced any problems. Well no spit Sherlock that is probably because your particular Kimber doesn't have the KimPro finish. All right I'm done ranting. Happy New Year:ingo:
    Haha, it's all good. I assume the "KimPro" finish is marketed as their better/stronger finish?

Top Bottom